Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

My boyfriend and I broke up on Nov 1 of 2011.. I made a big

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I broke up on Nov 1 of 2011.. I made a big mistake and slept with a friend on nov 14th and it was unprotected. But I got my period on the 19th or 20th and had a regular cycle. Well on thanksgiving my bf and I got back together and we had slept together from that night on for about a week and a half and it was unprotected each time and he ejaculated everytime inside me. I had slept with him on my day of ovulation as well which was dec 4. On dec 20 I think it was I took a pregnancy test and it was positive. I just have this fear that the baby could be my friends but I've taken several online conception calendars and stuff like that and it all adds up to when my boyfriend and I were sleeping together.. please help me out so I can stop stressing for me and this baby's sake.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
What is the expected DUE date of the baby?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Aug 26 2012
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
You are SAFE - Conception occurred around the 4th of December.
So it is YOUR boyfriends, no one else.
Please click on ACCEPT for answering your questions - and Congrats!!!
Thank you
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I have another question concerning the paternity. I just went and got my 4D ultrasound done yesterday and the due date she gave me was august 21 based on babys growth. Is that still normal for it to be off a few days and still be my boyfriends?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
WEll the further you get into your pregnancy the less accurate the due date.
SO, at ten weeks the ultrasound is accurate to about 5 to 6 days.
At 20 weeks the ultrasound is accurate to about 10 to 12 days
AT 30 weeks the ultrasound is accurate to 20 to 24 days.
I hope this helps, thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess I don't understand?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well for example at a 10 week ultrasound if your date conception date might be October 10th but as you have ultrasound later and later in pregnancy that due date is just not as accurate - hence we never change the due date - so the earliest ultrasound due date is the most accurate and preferably an ultraound due date from prior to 12 or 11 weeks.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. I think I get it now. The very first ultrasound I had I was barely 8 weeks.. if that. Thats when I got the aug 26 due date. And when I did all the online calculators for conception they all gave me the exact window I was with my boyfriend. Even with the aug 21 due date I was with him in the window I was given. So in your medical opinion do you believe its still my boyfriends considering I did have a regular menstrual cycle after sleeping with my friend?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well yes, your date never changes - so do NOT even think of any later dates - it just will confuse you - your due date never changes.
Yes, my answer is still the same.
I hope this helps, if you have more questions please ask and if you have no more questions ,please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok now i have another question to add... It still has me stressed. so even though i had sex with the friend a few days before my period, could his sperm have survived through my period? Or is that impossible?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Still confused
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hello JACustomer,

I noticed you relisted this question, and I would like to try and help you if I can. First of all, congratulations on the impending baby! Please understand though that online no one can state anything with 100% certainty, all I can offer is my best educated guess based upon what you have written.

If the first day of your last menstrual period was on Nov 19th or the 20th, then you are right, your probable date of conception is indeed December 4th or the 5th (based upon my pregnancy calculator). Here is another one from The American Pregnancy Association; putting in the dates you gave me (LMP of November 19th with a 28 day cycle) gives me an estimated fertility window between 11/29 and December 4th. Link to that is here: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/pregcalc.html/

Sperm only live a relatively short time. Inside a womans vagina they live the longest and that is only three to five days. So, given that you had sex with the friend on the 14th of November, at most, the sperm would live to the 19th...which is well before the estimated "fertility window" given by the American Pregnancy Associations calculator. They then would then not only die of "old age" but the remnants would be removed with the menstrual blood. Here is some information on the life span of sperm from the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy/AN00281

I hope I was able to help and I extend my wishes for a wonderful pregnancy and a easy labor and delivery,

Sincerely,
Susan