Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
19863579

hello . i noticed my son made from yesterday spots around one

hello . i noticed my son made from yesterday spots around one underarm. they are quite big , like it would be chicken pocs but not that white in the middle and they seam to be eatcy . he doesnt have them nowere else on the body . thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

Hello, I would like to help you with your question about large spots around your son's underarm that are itchy. Is it possible that he was bitten by some kind of insect? Do the bumps resemble bug bites? Dr. David

Customer:

i dont know what to say ...they are red and some are bigger some are smaller

Customer:

and a little swallen too

Customer:

he was playing in the garden yesterday

Dr. David :

I see. Thank you for the additional information. There are a few possible explanations for the rash. One possibility is that he was bitten by an insect such as a mosquito. These kind of bites are typically red, inflamed and quite itchy. Another possibility is that he had an allergic reaction to some plant or pollen. It is common to have symptoms of allergies during the spring. Is he having any other symptoms besides the rash? Has he had a rash like this previously?

Customer:

he used to have them when he was 1 and a half on the legs ..but those one as much you would scratc them they were becomeing bigger and extending ..they just disapear ..the doctor said it might have been foliculitis. but i dont think is the case of that for this region .

Customer:

i dont think was a mosquito .. he is wearing long sleves yet and jacket

Customer:

it was quite imposible to arrive to him

Dr. David :

Besides the rash, is he OK otherwise? Could you post a picture of the rash? There are two other possible explanations other than the ones that I already mentioned. One possibility is that he is having some kind of infection. It could be a local infection of the skin, or some other kind of viral or bacterial infection. Another possibility is that he is allergic to some food that he has been eating.

Customer:

and if it is an allergy from the food it is possible to appear just in one area ? he had some panacotta caramel yesterday that he hadnt have before yesterday

Dr. David :

Yes, sometimes introducing a new food can cause a rash in just one area. It is possible for a food allergy to cause a localized skin reaction in only one spot.

Customer:

should i continue using the cream with antibiotic or what other treatment would you recomand ?

Dr. David :

If it is an allergic reaction, then the antibiotic cream will not be much help. There are other creams available that have a soothing or anti-inflammatory effect. There are natural treatment too, such as calendula cream, drawing salve, or green clay. Any of these should help to relieve the irritation and itching.

Customer:

what about hydrocortisone?

Customer:

i remember the doctor prescribed it when he had the rash on his feets

Customer:

then it didnt help much

Customer:

the only cream was working was the one with antibiotic.

Dr. David :

It could be that the current rash and the previous rash are the same, or they could possibly have different causes. If the antibiotic cream seems to be helping, then it would be a good idea to continue using it. If it is not helping, then it would be a good idea to try the hydrocortisone cream. It is hard for me to make an exact diagnosis of the rash without seeing it.

Dr. David :

If the rash gets worse or if it does not seem to be getting better in a few days, then it would be a good idea to bring him in to see a doctor for a proper evaluation.

Dr. David :

I hope that this information is helpful for you and your son. Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I will send the answers as soon as possible. If not, please hit the Accept button so that I can receive credit for my work.

Customer:

one mom

Customer:

i i am trying to send you a picture

Dr. David :

OK. I will be here.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

can you see the picture?

Dr. David :

It's coming, I see half of it.

Customer:

ok

Dr. David :

OK. I see it now. Another possibility is a candida yeast infection of the skin. These can happen in moist areas of the body, like under the arms. This can be a sign of too much sugar in the blood. It looks like a fungal or yeast infection to me.

Customer:

ok ...

Customer:

what treatment can be for this one?

Dr. David :

The first thing is to eliminate sugar in the diet, including fruit and fruit juice. Yeast and fungus love sugar and will keep growing when there is a lot of sugar present. You will want to keep the area dry and possible apply cornstarch or some anti-fungal powder or cream.

Customer:

can you give me a name for the cream that is suitabler for 3 year ?

Customer:

and is it contagious ? he can still go to nursery or i should keep him home till is cured

Dr. David :

If it is a yeast or fungus, it could be slightly contagious if there was a lot of skin to skin contact with other children. But I don't think that he needs to be isolated because of it. An over-the-counter cream that contains Nystatin (i.e. Mycostatin) or Clotrimazole (Lotrimin) should be fine. They sell creams like this for infants with diaper rash.

Customer:

ok then thak you very much

Customer:

for your help and advice

Dr. David :

It was a pleasure chatting with you. I wish you and your son the best! Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

i will accept now

Dr. David, Doctor
Experience: Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.