Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

What causes blood from penis also very red and painful

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

How often are you seeing the bleeding? Is it during urination?
In your semen?
Where are you noting the redness?
Are you having any burning with urination?
Any sores on the penis?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The whole penis is very red bright red blood with semen can't pull skin back as very painful
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

I am sorry you are experiencing these symptoms. It does sound extremely painful.
There are likely two separate issues going on.
First is the blood in your semen.
Blood in the semen (also known as hematospermia) can be due to infection or non-specific inflammation anywhere within the male reproductive tract (seminal vesicles, prostate, etc). It can also be due to a broken blood vessel within the prostate.

Usually, the bleeding will resolve within a few weeks.. because you have seen the blood for a month, I recommend following up with your GP or with a urologist. A prostate exam, PSA blood test and urinalysis should be done at this time to check for infection, etc.
The good news regarding this symptom is that it is almost always a benign cause (meaning it is not serious).

The other issue is the bright red painful penis. Balanitis is an infection of the head of the penis...this can be caused by a fungal infection, bacterial infections (to name some of the common causes). The fact that your entire penis is bright red and painful suggests that you may have a more severe infection.
This requires an evaluation by either your primary care or a urologist.
If it is a fungal infection, it can be treated with oral antifungal pills or creams.
If it is an allergy (which is usually itchy, not painful), steroid creams are the treatment of choice.
Bacterial infection--antibiotics.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

I hope that you feel better soon,

Dr Abby