Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I was worried my tongue was swelling, but I am not sure how

I was worried my tongue was swelling, but I am not sure how to tell. I have never had this before, although I did get tested for allergies a few months ago do to a break out of hives. My tongue feels a bit "tired", like a tired muscle, and kind of slightly sore. I ate about 3 hours ago. I had some steamed chicken, frozen vegetables and some butter, with some milk, and later, a banana as a snack.
There is no pain swallowing food, no problem talking, breathing, or drinking. No blisters that I can notice. I don't think any past history of illness, although I did have that allergy episode with the hives a few months ago with an undiagnosed trigger. I also get acid reflux and low stomach pains at times, but its been on/off for years.

I am also prone to anxiety and hypochondria.

i just took a couple pix of my tongue and mouth.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--I looked at your photos and your discussion with the other expert and I disagree with his diagnosis of angioedema and that your tongue is swollen. This could be from your reflux with a mixture of your anxiety problem, but quite frankly, if I were just examining you on a routine physical and looked at your tongue, I wouldn't have noticed anything amiss. I don't think you have to worry about this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much. I appreciate your second opinion. Ca you talk a bit about why you dont think it is swollen and a little more about why you might disagree? Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well, it just doesn't look that abnormal to me. With real angioedema, there's usually major swelling of the lips and eyelids and if the tongue were involved, we're talking so big it sticks out between your teeth or you let it hang out because you can't easily pull it back in your mouth.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh wow, ok, so its ilke an extreme thing, not subtle, there would be no question that something was really a problem. I can definately keep my tongue normal in my mouth. It visually does not appear different then normal to me in the mirror, but the sensation is bothering me and irritating me a bit. Maybe it could be reflux related? I just got nervous about my allergies and my stress and hypochondria acted up i guess.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago. Take a look
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh my, that was gruesome. I am not sure I should have looked, but maybe its good I did. Does that happen quickly or could it build to that extreme state over time? Hours? Minutes? Have you seen this in your practice? My tongue is definately not in such a state, not even close. Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I've seen it several times and it usually is a drug reaction like a penicillin allergy or one of those people deathly allergic to bee stings, and it happens in the space of a half hour or less. Of course sometimes the tongue is so swollen one can only breathe through the nose. I think, again, yours is just the reflux aggravated by your anxiety--I really don't think you have anything serious going on here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again. I will try and relax and hope it feels better soon. I appreciate your help and patience.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Any time, and, hey--next time, just ask for me specifically and we can get around having to make mine the second opinion.