Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

my son says he has fast heart rate and it hurts how fast is

my son says he has fast heart rate and it hurts how fast is a normal heart rate for a 7 year old boy?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

How long the symptom is there?

How is his heart rate now?

Where is he feeling the pain?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
about 10 minutes ago he told me he's heart hurt
then right after he told me he's heart was beating fast
I check hes heart and it does seem abnormal faster than 1 beat per second
he points where the heart is but about under the rib cage on he's left
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

Average heart rate at his age is 90-100.

It may go up to 110-115.

When he is feeling pain , I would advise to get an urgent examination by doctor.

Pain under the left rib cage can come from stomach too.

But when he is feeling fast rate or palpitation along with pain, I would advise to get an examination in ER to rule out any heart issue.

An EKG, echo or ultrasound examination can be taken.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He threw up yesterday maybe is he's stomac
How can I check heart rate here at home? it seems kinda normal now and he went to sleep. it's hard to tell with children what they really feel
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
You can feel the pulse above the wrist on the thumb side.

But if you did not check it before, you may not be able to count it in a child.

With history of vomiting, it can be a stomach issue too.

You can give antacid if you have.

This will help in stomach pain

If the pain & palpitation continue, you should get him checked by doctor urgently.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your answer is ok but if you can tell me what can cause he's heart rate to increase
and decrease rapidly I will be much happier.
heart rate now sounds normal slower than mine so I think he's ok and it might be the stomac that hurts. Thanks in advance
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Common causes of increased heart rate in children is increased activity like running, playing.

High thyroid hormone, anemia can cause high heart rate.

Children can have anxiety, stress, fear which can increase the heart rate.

Tea , coffee,, medicines etc.can also increase heart rate.

If the high rate repeats then he should have an examination by doctor.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience