Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

I am suffering from typhoid since last 16 days and am on antibiotics.Initially

Customer Question

I am suffering from typhoid since last 16 days and am on antibiotics.Initially i used to get a fever in the range of 101-102.5.But now i am getting fever upto 99.9 only.My body temp is changing hourly.Why am i still getting the 99.9 fever?i was getting max 99.1 fever for few minutes for 2 days but now suddenly its again increased to 99.5. and it remains there for a while.the fever then comes on its own.i have good appetite for food and feel hungry at lunch and dinner.
Category: Health
Expert:  On Call MD replied 4 years ago.

On Call MD :

Welcome to Just Answer It is my pleasure to help you today

On Call MD :

sorry to hear about your disease

On Call MD :

fluctuation in temp could be expected while you are still on the antibiotic

On Call MD :

until the antibiotic course id over the fact that you have good appetite is a good sign that your system is starting to recover

On Call MD :

hope you get better soon

On Call MD :

If you have another question just ask please press the green ACCEPT button if you are satisfied ...your POSITIVE FEEDBACK is very much apperciated ,BONUSES are not expected but are warmly apperciated if you are well satisfied..It has been a pleasure helping you todayHave a blessed day

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 years ago.
Some strains of the salmonela typhi may be resistant to the oral antibiotics you are taking,you may discuss this with your doctor.Some antibiotics may need 5-7 days(some may take 7-10 days) for eradicating the bacteria .The bacteria may be resistant to the oral antibiotics with a initial minimal response, and may need a stronger/systemic antibiotics(like intravenous cefatriaxone for 7-14 days) for a complete cure.Antibiotic resistance is a common issue and needs to be looked for by doing a blood culture and antibiotic sensitivity test for the bacteria found in the initial stages.Your antibiotics may need to be changed keeping in mind the resistance patterns in your area.Your Physician/PCP may also investigate you for any other concurrent illness apart from Typhoid fever which could be contributing to the persistence of fever.