Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have had diaharrea since Tuesday. Have only taken pepto and

Customer Question

I have had diaharrea since Tuesday. Have only taken pepto and eaten very lightly but been drinking plenty of fluids to keep hydrated. No fever but feel bloated. What is wrong?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Any fever or abdominal pain? Any relation to anything you ate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No pain just growling in my stomache. But as soon as I eat anything the bowel movement is like as if I were peeing sitting down. Its been like that since Tuesday. I don't have access to my email so please answer back here....
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. Viral gastritis or "stomach flu" or gastroenteritis usually runs its course in the space of about five days. Any diarrhea that persists longer than that or that becomes bloody or is accompanied by fever and abdominal pain needs evaluation with blood work and stool cultures because it could be an infectious colitis as in E. Coli or salmonella. Pepto is fine, but no Immodium or other antidiarrheals for now. The BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce. and toast--is a standard recommendation along with plenty of fluids and juices. So, bottom line here--if you still have this by Monday, you should see a doctor about it as you might need antibiotics.