Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

Hi I am a male aged 24.2 years ago I used to suffer from

Hi I am a male aged 24. 2 years ago I used to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks (was at the gym and my heart was beating fast etc) had a resting ECG and stress ECG and everything was fine. 1 year ago i started to feel pain on RHS of intestine and did and ultrasound + colooscopy. Ultrasound was fine (bladder, liver, kidneys etc) For the colonoscopy, the doctor said its IBS. he also listed on paper: prominent veins + blood from hemmoroids. He stated its IBS. Here I have uploaded the vidoe of the colonoscopy: http://youtu.be/6-CGoaVzfXA so you can take a look at it. Is it true that its IBS? Sometimes I dont beleive because a year had passed and every now and then I still have problems. I work as a web developer (always sitting). the past 2 months Ive been suffering from cramps and gas every now and then. Sometimes my stomach feels that its empty even after I eat. When I lie down, I get more cramps + a sound of water moving in the intestines. I had also done a food allergy test but it came normal (although when i take milk, the symptoms will be worse). I also suffer from constipation (no dirrahea) A month ago I had a full blood test just for yearly checkup and everything was fine except for the cortisol level (went over the limit by 70) and the billirubin (mine is 40). The doc said its normal to be high and there is a syndrome for that. Any suggestions please? What I should do? Is there any herbs, vitamins or minerals which can help?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

IBS (irritable bowl syndrome) is a diagnosis given when there is a variety of intestinal symptoms, such as cramping, pain, and gas, but the structure of the bowl itself is not abnormal (as it is in diseases such as Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis.

It is also known as anxious bowel.

In some cases, it has been found that the individual is more sensitive to the sensations of the digestive track. After all, the intestine is nearly constantly active in processing the bodies 'fuel'.

In fact, we now know that there are receptors for Seretonin and endorphins (the body's natural opiates) in the intestinal tract. This is why antidepressants that effect the neurotransmitters Seretonin, as well as opiates slow down the intestinal tract and in some cases provide relief to the symptoms of IBS, although in large amounts they can also cause constipation. Opiates have long been a treatment for diarrhea and irritable bowel (non-addictive derivatives such as Lomotil have replaced the use of opiates in modern times)

So, since you already are aware that you have an issue with anxiety, it is very likely that getting this problem under control will also help your intestinal problems.

Also, it should reassure you to know, that some of the sensations you are aware of are normal, but due to your anxiety may be increased. Worrying more about them can increase the problem.

In anxiety we have an excess of stress hormones released into the system (such as adrenalin and cortisol) this is what gets your heart rate up and also is very much responsible for both constipation and diarrhea that is common in IBS. This is because, when these stress hormones are released, this sends signals to the body to shunt blood flow away from the intestine to the muscles, brain, and cardiovascular system, so that one can prepare to run away from the 'danger' or 'fight'. We developed these chemical responses over the millennium, and our bodies have not developed the ability to tell the difference between a physical threat, and a mental threat (or anxiety). The variation between hyper motility in the intestine, to slow motility is an effect of the release of these neurotransmitters.

So instead of treating the symptoms, I would suggest that you work on treating the core problem. Besides taking medications to decrease anxiety, one can try all the other interventions that are known to help this problem. Cognitive behavioral therapy is very helpful. One of the most helpful interventions, and one you can start immediately is daily exercise. Daily exercise will take up and use the excess stress or anxiety hormones that are released, and you will see an almost immediate decrease in anxiety and should also see a gradual improvement in intestinal symptoms.

Of course it is good that you were evaluated by a physician....you know that you do not have anything serious. The prominent veins occur from straining and constipation. This can improve over time as you get the symptoms of IBS under control.

Diet can still be helpful, as well as taking a fiber supplement to help with regularity and bulk, if needed.

A good article to read further about IBS and treatment, including diet is here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001292/

I hope you find this helpful. Please reply to this post if you do have further questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ohh thanks.. so from the video it looks like IBS? Correct? I used to take Oropram (serotinin reuptake) and i used to feel better now I am back to square one.. They told me to try 5-HTP. It is a natural serotini re uptake. is that good? I will accept when you reply please :)
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.

I did not look at the video, I'm sorry but I am not trained to read colonoscopies, although if there was anything obvious, I am sure your doctor would have picked it up. Also, understand, that you don't really see IBS on the colonoscopy. It helps with the diagnosis because the diagnosis of IBS, is given when the colonoscopy is basically ok (there is no ulceration or other abnormalities) So, the colonoscopy ruled out that you had a condition like crohns, or ulcerative colitis or any other disorder - you have the diagnosis of IBS because of the symptoms you report, and the fact that the colonoscopy was normal.

If you want one of the doctor's here at JA that is a GI specialist to read the colonoscopy, and give you a second opinion, I think you will have to offer more money, and I would suggest as well that you post it under Medical. The reason why you had not received an answer is because the doctors had looked at the question and posted that the price offered was too low (if you look back at your emails from JustAnswer you should see that you received an email about the question being underpriced)

I am not going to pretend that I am an expert trained to read colonoscopies, because I am not, but I do have knowledge about the disorder and understand the results of your test. I wanted to go ahead and answer your question to provide you with the relevant information you needed so that you can move forward knowing where your focus should be.

Does this make sense?

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.

I forgot to answer the other part of your question (see above for part of my reply).

Yes I am familiar with 5 HTP, and I think that it is a good thing to try to see if it will help you. It is helpful for some people, although some people end up needing stronger prescribed mediations, it is certainly worth a try and it may help you.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS