Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

My son is going for a drug test for pre-employment. 1 week

My son is going for a drug test for pre-employment. 1 week ago he took OTC allergy med.because he was coughing/sneezing so bad. He got a call this week that he was offered the job and to go for the test. He will be going for the test on this Fri., one day short of when he took that med. He happen to look up on line and it states "some OTC meds, including antihistamines could give you a false positive.
Any information on this would be appreciated. We are praying that it's not in his system, with only that one time of use and it's a week later.!

MD doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD doc :

If he has taken a couple of doses of OTC anti-allergy medicine a week back, they will not show up on the screening test

MD doc :

For starters it is quite uncommon for OTC allergy medicines to produce a false positive in drug test,

MD doc :

also most importantly, even if the screen is positive, a confirmatory GC/MS test can easily confirm the presence/ absence of a drug in the system

MD doc :

So, I would recommend that he write the name of the OTC drug that he took on the test form, and does not worry about the test, since a confirmatory test will clearly show the absence of any drugs, even in the rare chance that the screening test comes positive,

MD doc :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IF, IF it came positive, is this GC/MS test done there on the spot at the lab? Also, can he ask the results at the lab? Also, one week ago, he was in the presence of someone smoking "weed". (he DOES NOT SMOKE).....can second hand smoke,that ONE day be in his system? I really appreciate your answers. Thanks.
Passive smoking of weed does not lead to significant enough levels for the test to come positive.
If there is a positive test, then it is always confirmed by GC/MS testing. That is the protocol.
It is not a spot test and the results can come upto a week to 10 days later.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will give you a bonus!! Did you understand: my son doesn't smoke weed...he was in the company of someone smoking it....it was a 24hr. period only. "passive smoking of weed": you mean the OTHER person, right? and that it shouldn't make his testing false positive?? Again, I appreciate your help, we are on pins and needles worried about this!!!
:)
Yes that is exactly what I meant, someone else smoking weed in his presence is passive smoking.
It will not lead to a positive test,
and also you need to reduce your anxiety levels, if he is not doing drugs, his results will be clean !!
Warm regards
Dr Gupta