pez70
pez70, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  I am a Registered Nurse and love my job. I work in a hospital with patients of all sorts.
65959096

When considering the increasing complexity of atoms, molecules,

When considering the increasing complexity of atoms, molecules, cells and tissues, you may notice that each step has characteristics that were absent in the previous level. These characteristics, called emergent properties, demonstrate that the whole organism is more than the sum of its individual parts.

Consider the heart, an organ with a variety of tissues. In what way is the heart more than the sum of the tissues it comprises?
Category: Health
Expert:  pez70 replied 2 years ago.
If you look at it the way you describe, with "the whole being more than the sum of its parts" (which is a great way to think of it), then the heart fits the description. Each type of cell or tissue in the heart has its own function. Separately, each tissue will do its own thing and no more. Together, they perform the function of pumping blood to and from the lungs and the rest of the body, helping to distribute the oxygen we need to survive. No single tissue of the heart could or would do that on its own.

I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can you give some specific functions

Expert:  pez70 replied 2 years ago.
For example, the cardiac muscle that contracts will do so even in a petri dish. However, without the regulation of the various nodes that tell different parts to contract at different times, we would not have an effective organ that pumps blood to the right places at the right time, but a mass of cells pumping ineffectively.
pez70, Nurse (RN)
Experience: I am a Registered Nurse and love my job. I work in a hospital with patients of all sorts.