Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

this question for an RN. I am in my last semester of nursing

this question for an RN. I am in my last semester of nursing school and taking Med Surge 2. I need some tips for studying. I've always have done well and so far I'm passing this semester but want to step up my game. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.

Congratulations on making it to the last semester!

Breaking up the periods of study with exercise or required chores can help it from being monotonous, and prevent you from having a lot to go over right before test time. Perhaps make sure that you spend 30 min to an hour before getting up to do anything, to make sure you do not get distracted. Then you can limit time in between study periods as well. This basically means getting a calendar with the hours of the day divided out, so that you can plan your study periods and other activities. Of course things will come up that will change your plans, but I've found that I get more done if I plan some periods of study and rest, than I would if I plan a big block at the end of the day. Just getting started is very important.

I used to take the reading assignments and divide it up by the number of days I had to complete the reading. I would make sure to read at least that much each day. It helps too, to read over all the titles of the chapters and the first line of each paragraph first, to get a picture of the subject, and then go back and read more slowly as you have time. You will cover more this way, than you will if you try to read everything straight through.

If your instructors tend to make their tests and quizzes based on their lectures, be sure to take notes and use them as a study guide - looking up things if needed to get a better understanding of the topics they focus on.

It is usually a good idea to go in early before your clinical starts and read the chart of your patient, be sure and check their history and physical and progress notes so that you will see all the diagnoses and what is ruled out or discovered as the patient is in the hospital. Reading text about the conditions that your patient has that you are actually taking care of is helpful. You will learn in a much more vivid way, than if you were just to read about a condition without actually seeing it. Some times you need to do this any way in order to write up the best treatment plan. It is much easier to figure out interventions and to understand the physiology when it is hands on.

If you are able to tape any of your lectures and then play them back when you are driving, doing chores, etc. this is one way to make good use of your time while still getting studying done.

Be sure and get adequate sleep. You will remember things much better if you are rested.

Are these suggestions new for you?

Please feel free to reply to this post if you need any further clarification.