Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

mixed lytic and sclerotic changes in the iliac crest superior

Customer Question

mixed lytic and sclerotic changes in the iliac crest superior to the right acctabulum. there is mild associated increased uptake on bone scan. The nature of the change is uncertain and this is thought more likely respresent a nonaggressive process give the relative stability and relatively mild uptake. Correlation with MRI may be useful to better characterize these changes and identify any associated soft tissue mass destruction, which would suggest an aggressive process. Can you please explain this to me in english so that i understand it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Hi--first off why were the tests done in the first place? Do you have any medical conditions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it was done on my right him. Having pain in lower back and hip could not move or lay on right side. I do not have any medical conditions
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. The terms lytic and sclerotic refer to punched out or missing bone areas in the first and a kind of fibrous or scarring process in the second. While what was seen might be just osteoporosis, the radiologist is saying that an MRI scan is needed to determine if this is a cancer, either of the bone itself or metastatic from a cancer elsewhere like breast, ovary, or lung.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

severe pain in right hip and pelvic area. Numbess and tingling in buttock and down right leg.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Not related to those findings except perhaps in the same area of the pelvis. You need an MRI of the lumbar spine to look for a ruptured disk that could be causing most of the problem.