Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I have severe body aches and fever for 2 weeks. What should I do?

I have been having fever, headache, severe body aches, chills, loss of appetite for about 2 weeks now. At times my fever makes me feel almost delirious and the body aches are so bad and in spots I've never thought you could ache in. I've bee taking tylenol and motrin at the same time but have no relief at all. I am in so much pain and so uncomfortable I feel like crying and I don't know what to do. I'm 35 years old and have children, but nobody has these symptoms but me, so I don't think it could be the flu. What should I do?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. How high is the temperature?

How are urine & stool?

Do you have cough or other symptom?

Any test or treatment taken?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My fever I believe has not been over 102, although that one time I felt really delirious I didn't happen to take my temp. I have some burning while urinating, but that is not something that is unusual, as is the fact that I am constipated and or have diarrhea. Sometimes I have a dry cough, but other than that, no other symptoms but the fever with headache and really really severe body aches. I do not have a dr so I do not have any tests that were done.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information. There can be a few possibilities. Flu or viral infection can cause such symptoms. But as you know it is not likely to persist for so many days. When the fever is continuing & running high, I would advise to take an examination by doctor. Different other infections can cause it. This can be infection of the GI tract, lungs etc. A collection of pus can cause it. Another common cause is urinary infection. When you have some burning, it is a possibility too. A few tests can be necessary like blood counts, urine analysis, x-ray etc..

I hope this information helps. I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just wanted to clarify that the body aches that I'm feeling along with the headache and fever are so uncomfortable that I literally have been laying in bed for 2 weeks. And usually when you have a fever/aches and take tylenol/motrin, you get some relief, but I am worried because I have none. Right now I have a low grade fever about 100 and bad headache, body aches and chills. I wondering if I should go to the ER for this, because it can't be normal, like you said, to have these symptoms for so long. And the other thing is that I live with my husband and 4 kids and no one is sick except me, nobody ever had these symptoms but me. Could I get sick like this from living with an animal hoarder? My husband's sister has recently moved in, but like I said, the confusing thing is that its just me.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.

It is not normal to have fever for so many days. The relation with animal hoarder is not clear. You need to get checked by doctor & have tests. If the fever does not go high or if you do not feel delirious now, you can go to urgent care or walk in clinic in the morning.