Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

how do you help someone going thru withdraws from oxycodone

how do you help someone going thru withdraws from oxycodone they have no way of going to a md they are about 24hrs in and symptoms are really taking hold they was taking approx 8 a day and cold turking it what is the best way to get them thru this i am a nurse and im trying to help them but im a little lost in this area the symptoms are more severe than i was planning f 32 m 31
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.

Hello

There is no way to go through withdrawal and make it easier, except if they were to have medical help in the form of detox medications.

It is illegal to prescribe without seeing a patient in person, so none of our physicians at JustAnswer are able to prescribe medications -- I just want to be clear, in case you thought that was a possibility. You may find some websites that claim they will provide prescriptions but they usually will just take your money, or are off shore organizations and the medications may not be FDA regulated.

It is important that they have plenty of fluid and not get dehydrated from vomiting and diarrhea.

If you are a nurse, and you are taking responsibility for them, yet do not understand detox protocols, you could be endangering your license. It would be best for you to refer them to the proper resources.

If they cannot afford a private Addictionologist, then they may need to go through their county health services.

For a list of addictionologist who could provide help with detox, they can use the following list. This is the list for physicians that are licensed to prescribe buprenorphine for opiate detox. This is not to say that this is the route that they should go, but this will at least give you phone numbers of addictionologist in your area who can direct them on where they can find their local services.

http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/bwns_locator/index.html

So, again, by calling these numbers in your area, you will be able to get in touch with a Psychiatrist who is an Addictionologist. They may have their own practice or may work through a detox center. They can refer your friends to treatment,, whether it be buprenorphine treatment, or other local detox facilities. Most states do have state funded detox centers.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be standing by, in case you do.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.
How are your friends fairing with their detox? Did they receive help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they are doin better,the diarhea and vomiting is alot better the klonapin is helping them with the PHENERGAN TO SLEEP THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP JUST TRYING TO KEEP THEM FOCUSED AND NOT RETURN TO THE OLD HABITS

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the update. If they are open to it, attending a 12 step group could help them stay off of the substances long term.
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS