Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

Theres a liquid coming from my ears that smell bad. Last year

There's a liquid coming from my ears that smell bad. Last year I went to an ear doctor for this problem and he said I suffer from otitis externa. He prescribed me ciprodex. However, this problem doesn't go away it keeps coming back. Also, about 3 days ago I would wake up with my eyes shut and a white liquid (like pus) would come out of them. Last night my eyes were shut all night with white liquid. Now my eyes are red and sometimes I seem to have the sensation of having blurry vision. who should I see an ear doctor, an eye doctor or a general doctor. Also, I feel like a swollen ball on my neck that seems to go away at times.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to and thanks for your question.
Well as you describe you need to be seen by an Eye specialist for a clinical examination as white discharge from eyes,redness indicate bacterial infection,Conjunctivitis.
Apply cool compresses on eyes.
Also Artificial tears can be used 4 - 6 times a day.
Take OTC Claritin.
Apart from this,as you are suffering from foul ear discharge for a long time so there may be possibility of Chronic Otitis externa and you may require other antibiotics if your symptoms'll not relieve with Ciprodex.
Sometimes Otitis externa is caused due to fungal infection and it should be treated with antifungal medications.
I suggest you to make an appointment with doctor for further evaluation and management.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so you think I should see an eye doctor and an ear doctor or a general doctor
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 4 years ago.
Well as you have ear infection so it can also result in conjunctivitis.
So as you have started Ciprodex so you should consult eye specialist for prompt treatment of eye infection.
However as you have chronic ear infection as well so if your symptoms'll not relieve with Ciprodex it is advised to make an appointment with ENT specialist to determine the underlying cause of recurrent infection.
I hope this helps.