Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

I have been absent minded and weak for a while so i did a mri

I have been absent minded and weak for a while so i did a mri brain scan which came out ok, but found a little more iron level in brain. Then i did a blood test and my (Fe) is 181 and Feretinne 46,9 the hypatologist told me that the lab probably did a mistake so i did the test again and was the same. Should i do more tests or a special non iron diet. I have never taken vitamins( vitamin c makes me dizzy) or medication for years , the only thing i take is birth control pills.
I also did a thyroid test and was 6,8 and the endocrinologist asked me to swallow once and told me to take levothyroxine T4 50 mg. and to see him again in 2 months. should i start taking the medication or wait or see another doctor.

I'am 35 and 60 kilos.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.

I would like to help but need some additional information. Can you tell me specifically what thyroid tests were done and what were their exact values? For example, TSH, Free T3, Free T4?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

T4 - 7,4
TSH-3G - 6,7

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Based on this information, your iron levels are high, but not to the point where they become extremely worrisome. I do agree with a low iron diet and routine follow up with your doctor to keep an eye on these levels. If despite this, the iron levels continue to remain high or become even higher, then further testing would be indicated.

Regarding your thyroid tests, your TSH level is high, but T4 is within normal range. You do not need medication at this time. I recommend repeating these tests in 3 months. If the TSH remains high and T3, T4 are low, then you will need to start the medications.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask. If no other questions, please click accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much for your information, I have been taking the medication for 2 weeks now for thyroid ...should I stop it?

Thank you
Kind regards
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
You are most welcome.
Yes at this time based on your thyroid tests you do not need it. If the repeat tests in a few months show different results, then you may need to resume them.