Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I may be a candidate for and dental implant. I have a rare

Customer Question

I may be a candidate for and dental implant. I have a rare autoimmune disorder. Is there any evidence that an implant may be rejected if one has an autoimmune disorder even if all the other indicators are alright for implants. Recently I learned that a person with asthma had a lot of implants fall out of his/her mouth, this is why am concerned.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Hi--what's your disorder?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Polymyositis. What is your dental specialty?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Well, since the implant is made of titanium which is inert, true rejection doesn't occur. Infection and poor bone quality as with osteoporosis and vitamin deficiencies could affect the implant, but not your polymyositis itself.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is your dental specialty? Do you have experience with dental implants in autoimmune patients treated with Prednisone?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
I'm a medical doctor but I stepped in because no dental expert had tried to answer your question. If you're taking prednisone potentially you could have osteoporosis and if you haven't had a DEXA scan to check for that, you should. Naturally, your dentist can discuss with you the implant, but your autoimmune disorder by itself wouldn't interfere with the success of that.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

The fact that dental implants are a somewhat new methodology, combined with the relative rarity of polymyositis, make the availability of pertinent data quite sparse. Studies dealing with the influence of autoimmune disease on dental endosseous implant success rates are few, and generally assess correlations with more common autoimmune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis. Therefore, it is difficult to provide specific guidance with regard to your situation.

Most of the studies speculate (though do not prove) that autoimmune mucous membrane disorders such as lichen planus and pemphigoid do diminish the probability of successful treatment outcome, although the applicability of these beliefs to your disorder are unknown. The only specific published study I was able to obtain that refers specifically to connective tissue disorders is this one published in Aug. 2010 in the Journal of Clinical Periodontology: Dental implants in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: clinical outcome and peri-implant findings. It states the following: "in RA [rheumatoid arthritis] patients with concomitant CTD [connective tissue disease], differences in the peri-implant parameters such as pronounced marginal bone resorption and bleeding may be anticipated and appear to be significantly influenced by the patients' underlying disease." That does not mean that autoimmune disease is an absolute contraindication to implants, but it is a matter that might reduce the suitability of implants as a prosthetic approach in your case.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would like a copy of the article to which you refer.
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld replied 5 years ago.
An abstract of the article is available at the link provided above: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20718894

The full article is available for purchase here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2010.01606.x/abstract

Good luck!