Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I havent had a solid bowel movement in months. Should I be

I haven't had a solid bowel movement in months. Should I be concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Please tell me more about this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes they are thin and very soft almost like toothpaste, sometimes there will be clumps that almost seem fuzzy, other times it will be completely liquid. It is almost always a sudden urge to go.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Any cramping or abdominal pain with this? Any change at all depending on what you do or don't eat?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do have occasional abdominal pain but could not say for sure if it is related to this or just with my menstral cycle. I haven't been able to notice any paterns with what I eat.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. Some concern here as in you need to have this evaluated by a gastroenterologist. The possibilities include something called irritable bowel syndrome which is a diagnosis made when all the other possible causes have been ruled out and it's basically hyperactivity of the intestines and can alternate between near diarrhea and then constipation, or just be one or the other. Then this could signal a malabsorption condition like celiac disorder or gluten intolerance which is sort of an allergy to grains. Lactose intolerance is also a possibility here. Finally you could have pancreatic insufficiency--too little digestive enzymes that causes a poor absorption of fats in the diet. Without significan abdominal pain the likelihood of something like Crohn's disease is low. You need a stool sample sent to the lab and a colonoscopy to get at the exact diagnosis.