Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

how long does Phenobarbital stay in the system? last time

how long does Phenobarbital stay in the system? last time i took it was feb 25 for a pain medicine detox, and it showed up in my urine today. is this possible? i just had a c section 4 days ago my baby had it in her system. would deramorph be a barbiturate, would reglan? what medications given during a c section would come up as a barbiturate?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Were you put under general anesthesia for the C section?
Expert:  Family Physician replied 2 years ago.
Phenobarbital can be detected in urine for 2-3 weeks.

There are 2 types of drug tests; immunoassay tests used in home tests, dipstick, on-site tests and those typically used in hospitals for clinical practice. These tests are inexpensive and quick, but they can give false positives.

For a test to be considered definitive, the specimen should be sent for confirmation with GC/MS (gas chromatography-mass spectrometry). This technology eliminates the issue with false positives.

Testing a newborn (either hair or meconium - the first stool passed by an infant) can potentially identify drugs used over the last 1/3 to 1/2 of the pregnancy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The day she was born, we gave the urine bag that was attached to her vagina to collect a urine sample to the nurses in the nursery, then they said they wanted the first poopy diaper too, so we gave that to them too, but now they said that they never got the poopy diaper but my boyfriend and i took it out of the garbage and gave it to the nursery, can they still take hair even now? she was born on the 13th of march. I was given the prescription for the Phenobarbital and like i said i finished taking it feb. 25th and CPS child protective services is snooping around now, they asked me if i took anything that would be a barbiturate and i told them again about the Phenobarbital, and thank god i kept the bottle from the script. Cps counted the pills to how many i was taking and how many should be left in the bottle and it matched correctly, because i have NOT taken anything since the detox finished on feb. 25th. I did have an amnio done on march 5th to check her lung development and maturity and they were not mature they scored a 35 and we needed 55 for the scheduled c-section, (i have a lower back injury) so we waited until the 13th but there was meconium in the amniotic fluid, CPS had me and my boyfriend take a urine and hair drug test. what will the hair test tell them? will it show when i actually last took the medication?
Also, I don't know if my metabolism is working properly. When i went to take the glucose sugar test for this pregnancy, it was the hr test and i drank the orange glucose cola and they said ok in 1 hr we have to test your blood, at 45mins i felt sick and threw it up. I did fast for 12hrs before this test and when i threw up it was all of the drink it looked like i dumped the bottle into the garbage can, nothing was digested it was still all in my stomach. Is there a test to see how fast or slow my system metabolizes medicine food and drinks? I was also very dehydrated for the last 3 weeks of the pregnancy, i had bad diarrhea. My amniotic fluid levels were good every time but when i went in on tuesday for the c-section they gave me 2 1/2 backs of fluids IV, before i had to use the bathroom. Could the dehydration be a factor as well. I am looking for anything to explain this because CPS is scaring me, and I know I did not do anything wrong but i have to prove it to them. My urine might show it but the pills we counted prove i did not take anything more than i was supposed to. Any advice or information you can give me is so much appreciated. I don't want to loose my baby. I can't and I am doing everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen.
There are several issues:

First - you would want to check if the test was confirmed with GC/MS (gas chromatography-mass spectrometry), since immunoassay screening tests (typically those done in the hospital) can give false positive results.

Second - you would want to check if you had been given any barbiturates as sedations or anesthesia during your delivery.

Your test results should be reviewed by a medical review officer (a physician trained and certified in the interpretation of drug tests)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you for your answers, my last couple questions are the doctor who helped me detox, said Phenobarbital only stays in the system for 2-3days…this is why they are concerned because she said she doesn't understand that if the medication counts out correctly why i would have it in my system and why the baby would. So is there a website that i could go to or someone you suggest talking to specifically to show that it can be detected after 2-3 weeks? And since i did not take it since feb 25th why would she be withdrawing? is I was given Raglan for nausea can that be considered a barbiturate, and i know i was give Toradol (not sure on the spelling) and Deramorph with the epidural. Those are the only medications i know of, they gave me percocet (oxycodone) for pain and 800mg motrin. Nothing else that i know of…i have to check the pharmacy at the hospital. Are toradol, deramorph, and/or Reglan possibilities? Would any of them come up as a barbiturate?
First you need to check if the drug test was confirmed with GC/MS. Unless the test was confirmed with GC/MS, then theoretically another medication could cause a false positive drug test.

Here is are reference supporting the longer detection period:
http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/articles/drug-book/viewall.html
http:/www.royalmedical.com.au/pdfs/10-Mayo-Clinic-Clinicians.pdf
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok great thank you!