DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.

Hello! I have an ETG test for alcohol, I am a 170 pound female,

Customer Question

Hello! I have an ETG test for alcohol, I am a 170 pound female, I drank on Saturday Night until 1:30 A.M. I consumed 3 beers, 2 shots (yager bomb and a skittles shot) and 2 mixed drinks, i have my test wednesday at 8 P.M. Please tell em if I will pass as I know there is an "80 hour test" but it can be more ? and I am concerned. I drink maybe once a week at most, and urinate frequently, please let me know. thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.

You will pass it in all likelihood. Despite claims made on many websites of a detection period of "80 hours", the detection period for commercially available EtG tests is much shorter (you have more than 80 hours though).

Here is an article published in 2007 which looked at the actual time till last detection and found that the tests were negative by 26 hours when using lower doses of alcohol.

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/agm014v1

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so, when was I actually sober? i think i calculated it would of been 86 hours after, it was about 91.. and i took away 5 hours because it doesn't begin the detection until your BAC is at 0 correct? what is the chance I will fail ? I am 21 years old, and a female if that helps. and also what is the detection period actually ?
Detection period varies in individuals as you can see the article. In your individual circumstance; on Wednesday, your test would be negative as 86 is on the maximum side and people vary between 25 hours to 80 hours.

For the metabolic purpose and elimination of alcohol itself from the body, about 10 gm (one drink) of alcohol per hour is metabolized from the body. Please see the resource heading, " Metabolism (elimination):"

Chance of failing would be nearly zero if you do not consume any alcohol further.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/alcohol_intoxication/article_em.htm

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so one drink is consistent with one beer, one shot, or one mixed drink ? isn't beer (because of such less alcohol content) metabolized quicker, and can you help and make sure my calculations were correct, again drank saturday last drink at about 1:30 A.M maybe a few minutes before, test was on wednesday at 8:00 P.M. NO alcohol consumed after saturday at all.. i know it would technically be about 91 hours, but from what I've read you have to wait until your BAC reaches 0 and then count those hours.. is that correct? leaving me with 5 hours to be at 0 ... leaving me at 86 hours, please correct me if i am wrong again, 3 beers, 2 shots (yager bomb and a skittles shot) and 2 mixed drinks, does this mean i should take 7 hours because it stated 1 drink an hour ? or does it begin when I began drinking which was at 8:30 P.M
Your calculations are very right.

With beer having less alcohol, obviously it is metabolized early. One drink usually is considered as 30-40 ml of alcohol.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay, why does it in fact say then that on ETG tests it can detect up to 5 days it can detect? is this in more severe cases? so the beer may have been gone even quicker, with me having 2 shots (they were mixed shots), and 2 mixed drinks, thats about 3 1/2 drinks, so I would have maximum of 5 hours if not less, do I have a possibility of failing ? please answer all questions thank you
You are welcome.

About 2-3% people may have detection up to 5 days who have slow metabolism (liver conditions) and who have consumed far more alcohol than you have consumed. In your specific scenario, possibility of failing is near zero.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay, so can you advise me when the alcohol would have been out of my system ? like in how many hours? and from my understanding the etg is not even accurate, so i am just curious, because it says up to 80 hours and then it says even up to 5 days, it confuses me, its detecting the metabolite, im trying to find out with that much alcohol when i would need to worry. (how many hours)

ETG detection for small consumption like your's may be just 26 hours as the study mentioned. In your specific circumstance, in all likelihood it would be undetectable in 48-72 hours. The 5 days period detection had occurred only in people who were regular alcohol drinker, older age group, and are about 1-2% of total study group. This is considered as exceptional and would not be the normal.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ive read many contradicing stories that worry me,, please give me a good breakddown of my scenario
If you keep on reading on Internet; it will keep you worried. As we discussed earlier too; in your case detection is unlikely.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is considered heavy drinking?
5-6 drinks or more.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay, but i had 6 drinks. so that is heavy is it not ? or are liht beers not considered when you say this . again I consumed 3 beers, 2 shots (yager bomb and a skittles shot) and 1 mixed drink
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
light beers* bud light...
Beers are almost one fourth/one third of a drink.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I feel that I need a complete breakdown and for someone to ease my worry. This doctor was very broad
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--let me try. But to be more complete, what would help is for you to tell me now exactly what points are still either unclear or "up in the air" in reference to yourself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, my cut off is 100ng & 25 if that helps, I explained exactly what I drank, what I weigh how much I drank , etc what is the possibility it could be in my system? and etc
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--what exactly did you mean by cutoff?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when it gets sent to a lab they have different cutoffs that they test for .. 100 is not the lowest 50 is but its pretty low, another words if the metabolite shows 98 u pass, if its 101 u fail
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So you're asking in simple terms, if the level is below 100 that would be considered evidence that you hadn't been drinking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, I know that is correct, I am simply asking for a breakdown of where my level would be at after those hours and why it would be there and etc.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--and I'd be happy to do that, but can I ask how that particular information would be useful to you since the test has already been done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Results can take up to (3) weeks and notification to a lawyer is necessary here in Lake County shall I feel its neccessary.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--but that is something that can't change now that the test is done. I'm just trying to get a handle on exactly how the additional information will help you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
there is NO answer, this is JUST ANSWEr and he is JUST QUESTIONING me
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
What question remains for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just start from the beginning and please explain all based on my situation and cut off rate i'd appreciate it and even give you a tip, thanks
OK
In fact the ETG test is variable and the average time is often much less than 80 hours.

Various studies have shown that 25 to 50 hours is more likely the case.

Anything can happen but it appears to me that you will pass the test.
Statistics are on your side.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what are the statistics of me passing ?
It is probably [75 to 90%] that you will fall into the 25 to 50 hour range.

It is not likely at all that you would be over 80 hours.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you consider my drinking a "heavy drinking scenario", and also i took an hour break after the beers does that help ?
Same exact statistics.

According to alcohol use disorders, your drinking experience was at a hazardous level, not just a heavy level.
good luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me make this 100% accurate,. so you are saying that having 2 1/2 beers, 2 shots (mixed shots , yager bomb & skittles), and 1 1/2 mixed drinks to be completely EXACT over a 5 and a half hour period is considered extreme and hazardous ? I thought over 6 drinks is hazardous. and IT states hazardous stays for up to 102 hours, with a BAC of .32, my bac would have been about 0.070, im confused, where are you researching ?
The claims on the ETG test are over stated.
Studies show that most subjects will show no alcohol after 20 to 50 hours.

You have 6 to 7 drinks here.
This amount of drinking at any one sitting in alcohol use disorders for a male is heavy to hazardous drinking and for a female is hazardous drinking.
That has nothing to do with test claims.

Same analysis..it is very unlikely that you will test positive at even 80 hours, and even more unlikely at 102 hours.

Those are claims that have not been substantiated.