Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

NA - 201

Customer Question

Diet for a Patient with Chronic Hunger, Iron Deficiency Anemia, and Lead Poisoning

Jonathan, a two-and-a-half-year-old, lives with his mother and brothers. His mother, Anita, works at a pharmacy to support the family. While Anita works, his grandmother brings the boys to a nearby congregate W.I.C (Women, Infants, and Children Program) site for a hot meal. Jonathan's favorite foods are french fries and strawberry milkshake. He drinks about four glasses (32 ozs.) of whole milk per day. He also loves grilled cheese sandwiches.

At his W.I.C appointment, the nutritionist asks Anita about Jonathan's food intake and plots his weight and height on growth charts for her to see.

Date of W.I.C Appointment Jonathan's Age Jonathan's Height Jonathan's Weight Lab Values: Hemoglobin Lab Values: Lead

8/1/05 30 months 35.5 inches 27 lbs 10.3 10.2

5/2/05 27 months 35 inches 26.5 lbs

2/4/05 24 months 34.5 inches 26 lbs

Step 1: Assessment of nutritional status.

Your first step is to evaluate the anthropometric and biochemical data that is provided in the table above. Do this using the CDC growth grids for infant boys from the day of their birth until they are 36-months-old. Plot Jonathan's weight/age, length/age and weight/length in a graph.

1.What do you notice about Jonathan's rate of growth over the past six months?

Category: Health
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I am definantly in need of some help still. As soon as possible please!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi I was wondering if you had a chance to work it out yet?

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here is the rest of the assignment, this may help.

Step 2: Identify nutritional risk factors.

Nutritional risk factors are any conditions that place a person at risk for malnutrition. The risk may be related to the patient's age, weight, lab values, diet, economics, etc.

Using nursing diagnoses related to nutrition, if possible, (see NANDA in your text) list all of Jonathan's nutritional risk factors. Identify additional risk factors that are not on the NANDA list.

Indicate which of his nutritional problems are identified in Healthy People 2020: Nutrition and Weight Objectives.

Note: The Healthy People 2020: Nutrition and Weight Objectives can be found by going to the following web site:"

Step 3: Identify nursing interventions.

1. What are the possible nursing interventions directed at Jonathan's nutritional risk factors?

2. What diet recommendations would you explore with Anita? Is milk a good source of iron? What are the nutritional imbalances that might be associated with the milk intake? Can you make recommendations that would improve his calorie, iron, and zinc intake? How would this affect his lead absorption?

3. Would you make any healthcare referrals on his behalf?

Step 4: Monitor outcomes.

1. What outcomes would you like to see?

2. What would be a reasonable time frame to monitor intervention outcomes?
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No thank u I already turned the assignment in already