Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

I have an diagnosed afib heart. Recently i noticed an increase

I have an diagnosed afib heart. Recently i noticed an increase in the frequency of how often these events used to occur. Previously I had fairly rare experiences of this happening until about a month or so ago. The afib experiences happen multiple times now weekly and seem to last longer. Should i be concerned? My life and medications outside of these increased events is unchanged.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

What are the drugs you are taking and in what doses?
did you have the serum electrolytes done recently?
did you consult a doctor yet?
what is your heart rate during atrial fibrillation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am taking warfarin , diovan, ibupro/co morphine, lyric and januvia. I am under the care of a cardiologist but don't know if my electrolytes have been checked recently. It is an irregular heartbeat and not necessarily fast. I do intend to call the cardiologist tomorrow and ask to have a halter monitor done to get current values. But wondered if i should be worried about the increased incidence.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

The irregular heart beat points that some arrythmia is goin on.The EKG, holter monitoring, ed 2cho should be done to know the type of arrythmia.The serum electrolytes may be done as well as electrolyte imbalance may also cause irregular heart beat in you.

The serum electrolytes if abnormal should be corrected as well.The drugs should be used to treat the arrythmias.The commonly used drugs are cordarone, digoxin, verampamil etc

The recent increase in incidence needs attention and should be controlled.

Let me know if you need any more information

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One last question ... How are serum electrolytes checked. What is the process for them to do same... Blood work?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

The serum electrolytes are checked by using blood test.The blood sample is taken from your vein and sent for serum levels of electrolytes like potassium, calcium, magnesium ,etc which are vitals for body.

The excess or deficiency may prone the heart for arrythmias.You may get it checked from a laboratory.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you

Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice