Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

stomach ache

my son is 15 year old, he weighs 160lb and is 5'11 for height. Every time he eats he get a stomachache. No matter what the size of the meal is, he will get a stomachache about five minutes to even an hour afterwards. he had this problem for a long time, I don't know what it could be and we don't have enough money to go to the doctors just for a check up and have it be nothing they can find.. The stomachache feeling is as he is  full, or sometimes even he's about to throw up.. any ideas? thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

There is a condition called gastroparesis that has these symptoms, but typically it occurs in older people or those with diabetes.

Does he have any other symptoms?

What is his height and weight?

Any problem with his stools?

How often does he eat every day?

If you can provide a little more detail, it might provide more of an idea of some possibilities.

Emotional issues can also cause these symptoms, but of course that is just one issue out of many that would need to be ruled out.

Does he seem to have any signs of depression or anxiety?

Any problems in school that you know of?

Also, if you want to provide your zip code I can find your local health dept. Most states have insurance for anyone under age 18, there was a law that made this available.

Additionally the local health dept is available for those with low income or no insurance. You may have to pay a very small fee based on your income. They can also help him get signed up for your states child insurance program.

I can provide you a link to help you find your local health center.

I am standing by to get more information from you, please reply to this post.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.
(sorry I saw you added his weight and height after I sent the reply)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does he have any other symptoms? No he does not, other than frequent dizziness when standing up he often complains.

What is his height and weight?

Any problem with his stools? No.

How often does he eat every day? Breakfast, lunch, dinner and sometimes a snack.

Does he seem to have any signs of depression or anxiety? No, but he does have ADD.

Any problems in school that you know of? No.

Also, if you want to provide your zip code I can find your local health dept. Most states have insurance for anyone under age 18, there was a law that made this available. 55069. We have insurance, but we have a high deductible we have to pay everything in full.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.

Frequent dizziness when standing is a significant symptoms. It could be that he simply needs to drink more water, or he could have an issue with his heart. Consider getting him a filter water bottle (if he doesn't like to drink tap water) so that he can drink at least 4 ounces or so every hour or so.

If he is dehydrated, then this may be the source of his symptoms.

If he is taking medication for ADD, this could cause some stomach irritability.

His weight is good, for his age and height.

They will see him at the health department.

There are a lot of health departments that came up in search for that zip code. Here is the first one: http://www.isanticountypublichealth.org/

He seriously needs to be seen, the two symptoms together (even the dizziness alone) calls for evaluation. Lets hope it is simple dehydration, but if it is not the serious causes such as a heart problem, blood pressure problem, endocrine problem need to be ruled out.

Let me know what questions you have. If that health department is not close to you, you may do a google search for health dept 55069 in the Google search engine and it brings up all the health dept clinics on a map in that area. It is possible that the pediatric or teen clinic is not open every day at every health clinic so you may have to call and double check before you go in.

Also, please know that these clinics are federally and state funded so not as much money goes into the furniture and that sort of thing, but the doctors and nurses are well trained, and often the local medical colleges do a lot of their clinical work through the clinics, which means that there is an experience clinician over seeing everything as well as the resident, if you happen to get a resident or student. This is a good thing in my opinion, because they will be more aware of the newest treatments and any diagnosis is double checked, etc.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have bought him water bottles and he has been drinking them a lot, like three or four a day. It has not helped he says. Also, I looked up the symptoms of that Gastroparesis and he said he has most of the symptoms, which I can't understand because all of the causes, he's had none of them.

• heartburn - Has
  • pain in the upper abdomen - Has
  • nausea - Has
  • vomiting of undigested food-sometimes several hours after a meal - Does not
  • early feeling of fullness after only a few bites of food - Has
  • weight loss due to poor absorption of nutrients or low calorie intake - Does not
  • abdominal bloating - He doesn't know
  • high and low blood glucose levels - He doesn't know
  • lack of appetite - Has
  • gastroesophageal reflux - He doesn't know
  • spasms in the stomach area - He doesn't know
  • Thank you for the answers, we are sure he's not dehydrated because he has been drinking a lot more water. again, thanks for your answers.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    i ment to web page im lost in where to go i need more direction
    Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.
    I just wrote a long reply, but it got erased some how, I guess because you replied to me first. Please stand by I will type out my answer again.
    Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.

If he is not dehydrated, then the symptoms are more worrisome.

He needs to be seen.

One thing that dizziness could indicate is anemia. If he is having pain after eating it could indicate a stomach ulcer. If he is having bleeding from the ulcer, even a little bit, over time, this can cause anemia.

He should observe his stool to see if it is showing any out right bleeding (if so the stool would most likely be dark -almost black- and very sticky - as the blood would be digested. But if there was gradual bleeding it might not show at all.

Dizziness could indicate elevated blood pressure as well.

Did you say you went to the link I provided and you are having problems. Did you go to google search engine to see the map? Go to this link and let me know which health department is in your area, and I'll help find an appointment page or schedule page for you: http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=55069+health+department

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

isanti cambridge

what do i say or ask

how can i afford this

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.

As I explained, you tell them your income and expenses and they charge you by that, you may have to pay 15.00 or such. This is the purpose of health departments, to provide care for people with no or low income. Children especially are entitled to care. If you don't have any money, tell them so,they will still see him. (many people are not aware of the health care that is available or are too proud to take advantage of it. But you pay taxes for this) Tell them he has dizziness and stomach pain.

I will go now to look at the website to see what I can find about appointments etc.

I'll follow up with you in another couple of minutes.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.

Try calling this number to get help for your son. This is what they are there for - to help families that need health care to know their options. There is funding for children in every state. This was part of the Obama health care that went into effect (we used to have these services in the past, there was a cut back, and the services are available) Because your son is under 21, if he could qualify for medicaid for his health needs.

(NNN) NNN-NNNNor(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

This is the page that goes into more details about how this is funded, and leads you to more resources:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/fh/mcshn/

(so if you aren't finding help when you call the first number, which you should, try one of the other numbers on the link right above.

Write me back tomorrow or in a few days and let me know what you found. I'll keep working with you until we can get him evaluated.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
    Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS
    Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.
    Were you able to take your son to get evaluated? How is he doing?