Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

am trying to understand mono test done on 23 year old male

am trying to understand mono test done on 23 year old male - EBV Ab VCA, 1gM is 0.2, EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG is 8.0 H - was told had previously had mono but did not have it now - is that what this means? Can it show how recently mono was active? Would appreciate any help you could give in understanding this
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Customer:

Hello

Dr. Singh :

The fact that your IgG is elevated but your IgM is not, means that you do not have a current Mono infection, but that you did have one in the past. The IgG becomes positive about a week after infection and remains positive for life. So there is no way of knowing exactly when you first were infected with that result. The IgM becomes positive with active infection but then decreases 4-6 weeks after.

Customer:

Can you give me any time frame of when he may have had mono?

Dr. Singh :

There is no way of knowing the exact time, for as stated, the result (IgG) once positive remains positive for life. It can be safely said that he was not infected in the last 6 weeks for otherwise the IgM would also be positive. Other than that there is no way of knowing.

Customer:

He has also been tested for strep (negative) and still has sore throat and fatigue, has been on antibiotics twice and a z pack - still complaining, did throat culture today, any suggestions or thoughts, this has been going on about 6 weeks.

Dr. Singh :

I agree with the throat culture and awaiting to see if any bacteria grow and if treatment is needed. His symptoms do sound consistent with a viral infection. CMV another virus may be the potential cause. In the meantime rest, salt water gargles, and pain medications are recommended.

Customer:

what is cmv?

Dr. Singh :

Its a virus. It stands for Cytomegalovirus

Customer:

they gave him another antibiotic today (3rd one) does he need it if it is viral?

Dr. Singh :

If it is viral, no he does not. Viral infections take time but resolve on their own.

Dr. Singh :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

will the culture show if it is cmv?

Dr. Singh :

No, there is another test for CMV, a blood test. Viruses dont grown on those mediums they use for culture.

Customer:

is there anything else you would recommend we do?

Dr. Singh :

With viruses it usually takes a while for the symptoms to entirely resolve. Sometimes fatigue can linger for months. Therefore rest, drinking plenty of fluids, salt-water gargles and pain control is the recommended treatment.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Singh :

You are very welcome. If no further questions, please click accept

Dr. Singh :

Regards

Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.