Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

my bicep muscle was hurt lifting weights, and i have a pain,

Customer Question

my bicep muscle was hurt lifting weights, and i have a pain, the pain runs down to my hand with some tingling effect and it is very uncomfortable when sleeping.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Dr. Singh :

When did you notice the pain with lifting weights?

Customer:

2 weeks ago

Dr. Singh :

Are you still having pain? If so when? At rest? With certain movements? With weights?

Customer:

yes curling my arm ,i have stopped the weights,and have pain in my hand, it feels like the pain has run down to the palm of my hand

Dr. Singh :

Ok. Thanks for the additional information. The tingling your are experiencing indicates some type of nerve involvement either pinched or entrapped secondary to inflammation. I recommend that you rest your arms for a couple of weeks. Continue with the heat/ice (whichever one provides the most relief), take an anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen 600mg every 6 hours for a couple of days then as needed (if no contraindications to taking it). If these measures do not help, then you do need to see your doctor for imaging of your neck, shoulder, and arm to see where the impingement is and why.

Dr. Singh :

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Dr. Singh :

If no further questions, please click accept.

Dr. Singh :

Regards

Customer:

should i be using any creams ex. bengay, and what type of doctor ? should i see?

Dr. Singh :

You can use the creams to see if you get any relief. It is similar to applying a heat or ice pack. You can start by seeing your regular physician in order to obtain the imaging and then depending on what is found, you may need to be referred to a specialist such as a neurologist or orthopaedic surgeon.

Customer:

can hot tub at the gym be good for the muscle? I work in constuction, taking the anti flammatory would it be ok to work,

Dr. Singh :

Yes a hot tub may be helpful. An antiinflammatory medication is okay to take and work. Contraindications to taking it would be kidney disease, gastric/peptic ulcers, GI bleed.

Customer:

should i stay away from massage therapy?

Dr. Singh :

Massage is okay as long as it is not deep tissue massage for that could irritate the nerve further.

Customer:

what is better heat or ice?

Dr. Singh :

It all depends on the person. Initially people respond well to ice and then later to heat.

Customer:

ok thanks for your help

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
You are most welcome.