DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.
24257177

What can cause bloating of the abdomen? I look 4 mos. pregnant.

What can cause bloating of the abdomen? I look 4 mos. pregnant. Sometimes after eating dinner it is worse and painful. I wake up bloated, but not everyday the same. My gastroenterologist has me taking Miralax twice a day for two weeks and I am on my second week. Every things seems to be moving along, but still bloated. ( Had Endoscopy, and Colon 1yr. ago)
I have seen my OBGYN, had a sonagram which has revealed some type of fibroid on my ovary. ( I am 53 years old) I am due for a follow up to see if it has gone on its own in April.
However, though my doctors have to start some where in order to rule out different things, I am still not feeling better and was wondering what other issues I could me looking into.Thank you for your help
Suzy
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Customer:

Hi

Dr. Singh :

Causes of bloating and abdominal distension include: constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, lactose intolerance, overeating, weight gain, gastric reflux, celiac disease, cancers such as ovarian/liver, thyroid disease. It appears you have taken the right steps in trying to figure out the cause of this. A normal endoscopy (upper and lower) is a good sign. Fibroids of the ovaries should be followed up as scheduled. I do recommend that you continue to take Miralax as advised by your doctor. Other things to consider are if you are having constipation or bowel irregularities to see if a laxatives or a medication such as Bentyl may help. You can also try avoiding dairy products or using Lactaid tablets before eating to see if that helps. Also recommend having routine blood work to rule out systemic causes (CBC, CMP, TSH, HbA1c) if not already done.

Customer:

I am waiting on blood work and she (gastro) requested celiac blood work also. I will try the Lactaid I weigh 130 and am 5'6. It is just so frustrating because I am already so careful about what we eat. No fried foods, just about cut out all breads, pasta. Last night. we just had steak and potato and I woke up bloated. We use Promise for butter

Customer:

Oh and I already take Prilosec

Dr. Singh :

I can understand your frustration. I agree with the work up for Celiac disease and the use of Prilosec. It appears that you are taking all the right steps to get this situation resolved.

Customer:

Thank you for your

Customer:

help and have a great day

Dr. Singh :

You are very welcome. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask at any time.

Dr. Singh :

Regards

Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well,blood work all negative, still waiting on seconded sonagram. I am a little suppesious of it because the tech said, "Now we just have to do a velocity test, and then we are done." I asked what that was, and she said it was for checking the blood flow of the overy. So I am thinking the fibriod is still there.
I am 53, in Menopause, my whole abdomen is swollen now. My GI doctor said that the bloating was a normal age thing and I just need to go into middle age gently and not to be hard on myself. I am 5'6" 135, always been in good shape. Even after a car accident in 2001 with spinal fusion (L4-S1)2002, then cervical fusion (C3-C6)2010. I bounce back. I am in pain everyday, but try everyday to stay moving.
Now, so when I don't have control over a bloating stomach, by what I eat, or light excrise, Iam frustrated and need answers.
Can a fibroid, cause this? I feel like I look 3 or 4 mos. pregnate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
doctor not online, so wanted second opinion
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
I see you have already accepted the other answer...however, you can certainly continues here with the relist and accept if satisfied.
I am a board certified internist and board certified in integrative medicine as well.
Is there any question at this point that has not been answered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am now eating prunes, taking benafiber, and lactaid. So can a fibroid cause this much bloating.?????? I wake up in the morning this way it is not just after I eat. It my decrease during the day or increase through out the day, if if not that bloated in the morning. All blood work was normal except, white blood cell a little low (3.6) Which I was told that was ok, MCH was slightly high (33.4),globulin 2.0 a little low, albumin/globulin ratio high (2.3), BUN/creatinine ratio high (32),BUN (26)
So, do I just give up and walk around holding my stomach in the rest of my days, because sit ups don't work, I get nauseous doing those.
Fibroid of the uterus?
Usually the ovary would be a mass or cyst...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She said ovary, and she mentioned a certain type, but I don't remember. I just had a follow up sonogram and the tech mentioned she had to do a velocity test. She said it was to check the blood flow of the ovary.
An ovarian cancer could present as bloating.
You need to make sure that this is a benign lesion of the ovary, and that it does not need to be taken out..

Otherwise
Tell me your diet, meal to meal on a typical day?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
english muffin, coffee w/ non-dairy creamer, (no sugar or artifical). some mornings just coffee. and my 3-4 prunes.

lunch: grilled chicken sandwhich, a few baked potato chips (steak and shake)
turkey breast sandwich on wheat, and said prunes

dinner: stuffed baked shells (ricotta,w/ mozzarella)
sometimes frozen yogurt for dessert
2 glasses red or white wine.
I used to eat green salads, but noticed that was causing bloating. and I am not a big soda drinker. I have moved to club soda with a splash of cranberry juice.

I just started eating activia, so yesterday I had one for breakfast, chicken breast sand. with swiss cheese lettuce tomatoe, and a little honey mustard. Dinner was Barilla plus pasta and red sauce and white wine
OK
First
Have 3 stool samples sent for parasites..giardia can be chronic and cause bloating.

Have a celiac panel blood test to make sure you are not gluten sensitive.

Then change the diet to more of a nutrient dense bowel stabilizing diet.

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.

And follow up on the ovary...

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

wow, awsome advice. I did have a celiac panel done, and that was negative. I see my OBGYN April 9th, so I guess I will take the stool sample to her to have sent somewhere??
The only thing I don't know about is "tempeh".

Tempeh is another soy product that is fermented.
You can sautee it, put it is soups, etc.

3 stool samples.

DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience: Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.