Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

My eye always feel like something is in them. Ive tried prescription

Customer Question

My eye always feel like something is in them. I've tried prescription and otc eye drops nothing helps. The only thing that seems to help is staying inside. Strings of white stuff generates in my eyes and covers my pupil which makes it hard to see. I constantly blink and my eyes constantly feel irritated. Sometimes when I rub them is the only relief I can get. Does anyone have a idea of what could be wrong with my eyes? Whatever it is is affecting me daily when the weather starts to get warm. It's been going on for about 3 years now.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 4 years ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

You may have what is called Ocular Rosacea. This can cause itching, blurry vision, dry eyes, blurry vision and the feeling of somethign being in the eye. You eyes could also produce this stringy type mucus with this condition also. I didn't see you mention that you wear contact lenses or not so I will assume you do not - however if you do, you may have an infection from your lenses or you may have irritation from them. I would have your eye Dr take a look at your eyes and have them get you on a regimen for the Rosacea (if that is what is going on) and this will help tremendously.

If you have chronic dry eye, they can also treat you for this as well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My eyes are not dry or itch nor do they burn. No I do not wear contact lenses. I have tried erythromycin ointment and it did not work. I've been to 4 different eye doctors.

Ok, thank you.

The feeling that something is always in your eyes (foreign body sensation) could be from irritation from allergies. Seems to me, the correlation that your eyes feel better when you are indoors and that your symptoms worsen when the weather begins to warm up (also when things begin to bloom) would still lean more towards allergies.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.

Have you tried saline rinses? You can buy a product called Bausch & Lombs Eye Rinse at most any pharmacy, some grocery stores, and sometimes they will carry a generic brand that is a few dollars cheaper. It is much less expensive than prescription eye drops or other drops like clear eyes (which you should not use if you are - clear eyes, visine, constrict the blood vessels in the eyes and will cause discomfort and this irritation can lead to the eyes secreting stringy mucous). Many people don't realize this, and they increase their eye problems by using these products (clear eyes, visine) to 'get the red out'. They should never be used more than once or twice a month.

I understand that this intervention sounds simple (using eye rinse 2 to 3 times daily) but sometimes health care providers over look the simple interventions, being trained to treat serious disease as we tend to be. When we evolved we lived by oceans and our eyes and sinuses were rinsed frequently by sea water (which has the similar percentage of sodium as our body fluids, including our tears). The Eye Rinse products also are a saline solution similar to the percentages of our tissues. Flushing your eyes with a stream from the bottle 2 to 3 times a day may improve your condition remarkably. It should at least make you more comfortable no matter what, as it will remove any potential allergens and other particles or mucos strings that may be contributing or a result of your problem.

Also, be sure if you have pets, that you are not allowing them on your pillow. If you have a cat or animal, make sure that your pillow is covered during the day when you are gone. Change your pillow case frequently, and make sure the detergent you are using is not creating an allergic reaction.

If the air quality is bad in your house or in your neighborhood consider getting a Hepa air filter to use in your home and/or office. They are no longer extremely expensive.

Please try this if you have not, and let me know what results you have.

Also, remember to be very careful not to touch the tip of the eye rinse bottle with your finger or the eye. This can take some practice, but you should be sure and use sterile technique with anything that is used in the eyes.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS