Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Why do I get severe muscle cramps, spasms across my stomach

Why do I get severe muscle cramps, spasms across my stomach area? It happens random but if I twist it almost always triggers it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me more about the problem? Is this in your abdominal wall or bowel cramps?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It feels like the abdominal wall. Mostly it occurs on 1 side at a time but recently it occured all the way across and I was doubled over in pain for about 5 or 10 minutes. I could feel a qiver internally. Then a few days of soreness followed. I did have a bad cough due to a cold but I never seem to be free of these cramps/ spasms.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Any tenderness when you push?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only where the muscle attaches in the center area. And If I have to go to the bathroom.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How long has this been going on? Any change in bowel movements? Have you ever had a colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Off and on for a couple of years. Since I broke a rib by falling. No colonoscopy.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And no change in bowel movements, especially when this happens? You've never discussed it with a doctor before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I haven't because it seems to be more frequent now. In fact it is happening right now. I was laughing earlier and it started left side then right side.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As far as BMs I use a suppository and then no problem. Since I added fiber I go twice a day usually.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And no bulging in that central abdominal area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Other than my belly fat not really.

When I had the flu 2 weeks ago and was coughing alot I noticed a sore tender area on the right side when I coughed. I had to stand against a wall and push to ease the pain when I coughed.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. While I can't tell you exactly what's going on here, I would get a ct of the abdomen and a colonoscopy. You may have an abdominal wall hernia, this could be irritable bowel syndrome or perhaps colitis and you are at the age where you need a screening colonoscopy anyway. While I don't think this is colon cancer, any sympXXXXX XXXXXke this at your age has to consider that in the differential diagnosis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK my only problem now is no health insurance. Should I go as an indigent to the emergency room?

Is there another way with Medical? I am a long term family caregiver for my son and I am not working right now. He has a seizure disorder with dev disabilities.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I don't really think this is anything too serious. For now I'd suggest extra fiber in your diet, A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar three times a day, and probiotics or yogurt with active cultures and that may resolve the problem.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice