Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

Hello, Ive been given the diagnosis of Narcolepsy secondary

Hello, I've been given the diagnosis of Narcolepsy secondary psychosis. It's been several years now, I treat it with certain meds. I don't fall asleep uncontrollably, but I do feel it coming on. I Lucid dream all the time, sometimes in my short naps even. I also hear voices inside my head that I've learned to control. I don't feel like I have taken it far enough with my treatment, and I also feel like there may be an underlying issue, but not physically. I have the same people in my dreams every night, trying to convey messages to me. I wonder if these people are certain aspects of my personality that I have supressed, and they need to be back at the surface, which kind of tells me that the voices may be the same, coming from that area. Does this make any sense to you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.

Along with my Master's in Psychiatric Nursing, I have studied Jungian Dream interpretation, on my own, and with a trained Jungian Therapist and a Jungian Dream group.

I do think dream analysis can be helpful, but if you decide to do this, you will need to put it in proper perspective. I'll explain.

First of all, just to mention, (because you may already know this) if you are not getting all stages of the sleep cycle at night, then your brain will compensate, sometimes in uncomfortable ways, such as what you describe happening to you... narcolepsy and 'waking' dreams.

So, as you obviously know it is important that you still focus on getting proper sleep in order that your brain get the benefits that it needs from sleep, which we are finding out more and more is so vital to functioning. Lack of sleep not only can result in narcolepsy, but now studies are linking it to depression, bipolar exacerbation, fibromyalgia, and weight gain, diabetes and other illnesses.

Because it is important that you do everything possible to help yourself sleep at night and sometimes the basics are overlooked, I will mention a few things and provide you a resource for you about improving sleep. Besides medication, you will want to do everything recommended to improve sleep, which includes maintaining a regular sleep schedule, exposing yourself to natural light in the hour before getting out of bed (or use special lights for this purpose), decrease light in the evening a few hours before retiring to bed (including no looking at TV, computer or game screens. We evolved with light and night to trigger our sleep, but so often today keep some form of light on around us nearly 3 times as long as natural.

There are more things to be aware of, just in case you have never been taught the basics see:

Regarding dream interpretation: Dream analysis with a psychological perspective was first popularized by Sigmund Freud and later by his student Carl Jung when they published books in the early 20th century. Jung developed the most extensive theories and took dream analysis beyond the idea that dreams were sympbols of basic impulses only, to the analysis of dreams as a method to assist with life developmental tasks and spiritual growth. Jung developed the terms "anima" and "animus" (male and female figures in our dreams representing different aspects of ourselves) after observing the dreams of many patients and also was the first to develop the idea of the "collective unconscious" (helping to explain the universality of dream symbols).

So, yes it is possible that the figures in your dreams may represents aspects of yourself and that acknowledging those parts and developing certain aspects of yourself might be helpful. Because it is also likely that the symbols are magnified because of your sleep problem it would be recommended that you have guidance from an experienced Dream Analyst or Jungian Analyst that would also be understanding of your other conditions. The best will have some type of license, such as Phd, LPC, CNS, or LCSW and be able to tell you where they studied dream interpretation, which is most often a separate certification. Legitimate dream therapist will offer individual therapy and often group therapy. Dream therapy in a group setting with a trained professional is very helpful. Group members can give more diverse feedback as to what certain things might mean (although one is still taught to pay attention to an 'a ha' moment. When you feel the 'a ha' moment, it tells you that the feedback you heard is 'hitting a chord' with you, and this tells you that it is likely significant, or true for you.

You may be able to find a Jungian therapist by looking at an online yellow page type listing or you can also check out this website, where therapist list their specialties:

I think I answered your question, but please reply if you have further questions on this topic.