Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

I have blood stains on my pillow every morning. Usually, there

Customer Question

I have blood stains on my pillow every morning. Usually, there will be 3-4 new stains each morning. I am actually just assuming this is blood: it looks like it would be dried blood, diluted by saliva (brown spots). I have seen my dentist and he has had me do an ex ray of my entire mouth and all the teeth along with all adjacent structures, and he said there is absolutely nothing wrong with my teeth and that it cannot be there is any bleeding from my gums. What I do do next, what can it possibly be? It lasts many years now (probably 5 or more). Thank you for your help! Milan
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Have you had any other tests?

Customer:

No.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--the first point is that we can't be sure this is blood from your description and it could either be something in your saliva or perhaps coming from your nose and not from your mouth at all. I assume you don't have any lesions on your lips or fact to account for this. The fact that it's gone on this long seems to me to indicate it isn't an infection problem or a bleeding problem since either of those would have been detected long before now. This could be from your lungs though, and it could be a problem with gastric reflux and chronic aspiration in the lungs. I would check you for reflux and also get a chest x-ray and breathing studies to better determine what's going on here.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.
When was the last time this occurred?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It occurs every single morning, each day, for past 5 or more years.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.
Also, do you have any dried blood in your nose?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No dried blood on my nose or any sign or blood anywhere on my face, or neck.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any cough, wheezing, shortness of breath or any medical conditions you are aware of the require medication?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have Parkinsons Disease and take medication for it (Azilect). Some shortness of breath at times.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I think the next best step is to see your primary physician examine your lungs and order a chest x ray as well, if there are no lesions in your mouth there is a possibility this is coming from your chest. If your chest is clear on x ray, then you may need to see an ear nose and throat doctor to perform an indirect laryngoscopy to examine your throat to make sure there is no area of bleeding , for example in the larynx. Since it has been occurring for 5 years it MUST be evaluated further. Also, I think you should have baseline blood tests like a complete blood count.You may also consider using a humidifier at night when you sleep if you have excessive dryness
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it were from my chest, what could it be (what would be causing it, i.e. what diagnosis could it be)? Equally, if from my larynx, the same question?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.

there are a number of possible causes

a lung pathology could be from inflammation, a tumor,a upper airway lesion or irritation,an abnormal connection between an artery and vein, it could be from heart inefficiency as well.

If it is from your upper airway or larynx it could be from similar causes

These are just a few of the possible causes, there are many, many more possibilities, and it would be difficult to narrow down without an exam and tests

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.
It seems the system did not notify you of my last response
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can it be just nothing and something I can avoid further examining? I have been living with us for over 5 years. If it has not produced any further problem (other than blood spots on my pillow in the morning) does it mean that it is actually OK and I can get away without further investigating? My point here is that if it were anything major, would it not, in all this time already become more obvious in some other way?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.
No, and I say this because it may be something that is slowly progressing, and you don't want to take the chance and find out it is serious and then something that you could have treated if found earlier. Is there a chance it is nothing serious and won't need treatment? Yes, there is that chance, but I would not let my patient nor anyone I care about continue with this without having it checked out to be sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What kind of exam is indirect laryngoscopy? Does it hurt?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.
All you need to do is open your mouth and the doctor uses a special mirror to visualize your throat, not painful in any way
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Say the chest, ear/nose/throat and blood test all come back fine (I somehow have the gut feeling that will be the case). What would be the next step?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.

If the bleeding continues I think you may need a CT scan or MRI of the chest

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.
I apologize, I had some technical issues for about 10 minutes and was not able to respond
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.
The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you should not let this go without making sure it is something serious. If the previous tests are negative, and the MRI and CT scan of the chest and neck is negative, then it may be possible to let it go, but it at least needs to be examined by a doctor to heir on the side of caution
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After chest and ear/throat/nose and possibly MRI/CT, do you have any further exams in mind?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.
Pulmonary function tests might also be useful, but that is further down the road and would depend on the findings of the previous exam and tests.
The evaluation has to be taken in steps
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience