Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am having pain in my neck, shoulders and upper back. This

Customer Question

I am having pain in my neck, shoulders and upper back. This is chronic and has lasted approx 2 years. I have been taking meloxicam 15 mg daily and had a 4 wk session of physical therapy (The physical therapy helped for a short period of time). An MRI was done, Results are: C3-4 central canal normally maintained while neuroforamen on the left is compromised to a minor extent; C4-5 borderline nearrowing of spinal canal is present in conjunction w/ disc-osteophyte complex w/ minor concomitant narrowing of the neuroforamen on the right; C5-6 mild spinal stenosis resulting from an asymmetric disc-osteophte complex which extends posteriorly to a greater degree on the left and touches the cord itself. The neuroforamen at this level are both narrowed w/ greater involvement on the left. I am not getting relief and gets worse with daily activities. I get weakness in my arms, occassional shooting pain down left arm to the 4th and 5th digit as well as morning numbness to these digits. Question: What is the best management going forward?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
The most important thing for you now is to get a referral to a physiatrist--a physical medicint MD specialist--for a customized therapy program that could well resolve all or most of your symptoms. In addition, facet and epidural injections may help in the short run. Your MRI suggests that if these abnormalities increase in severity you may need surgery, but often with correct therapy that can be avoided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any online excersies that I could do to help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Actually I'd advise against that until you see the physiatrist. At home physical therapy and exercises can sometimes actually do more harm that good.