Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Pediatrician
Experience:  Pediatrician

My questions has to do with weight training. I have taught

My questions has to do with weight training. I have taught high school including weight lifting classes for many years. Recently a new PE teacher/ weight lifting coach was hired at our school. I am the girls basketball coach and gave them lifting routines in season and out, and made sure they did them. The new guy believes that you can only gain strength by lifting in way to cause muscle tears, followed by extreme soreness, followed by the same cycle again. One day they might do 10 sets of 10 hang cleans with 80% of their maximum lift, and never be allowed to put the bar down for 40 minutes. They do upper body one day and lower body the next day, and all the routines are that extreme. They are allowed to do only about 4 lifts, with no abdominal work allowed. The results are that we had the least amount of wins and lowest shooting percentage ever. Players on our team have lost their balance and fallen down over 200 times this year. Most years it is less than ten timesr. I can't convince our school adminstration that this guy doesn't know what he is doing. Our girls shoulder and butt muscles are excessively large, and they all walk funny. They have been stiff and sore since last August, and they are burnt out. If they don't follow the routine, they receive a bad grade. What is your opinion?
Category: Health
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Below is a link to American Academy of Pediatrics articles on weight training recommendations.
As a (very amateur of course) athlete myself with an interest in Sports Medicine, I do not think the new trainer is on the right track. Muscle tears are never the goal, but rather prevention of strains and tears.