Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

As a result of a move my wife handled boxes all day yesterday.

As a result of a move my wife handled boxes all day yesterday. Through the night she woke up 3 times with both hands in severe numbness and pain that took about 30 mins to go away each time.

Her hands were swollen in the morning, and although she looks better at this time (noon,) she still complains of pain when she uses her hands for typical things. What is our best course of action?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
HI,

thanks for your question.

Has this happened first time?
Any diagnosed medical problem?

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ocassional numbness on one hand or the other while sleeping is not that uncommon for her. The main difference here is that the numbness was severe, long-lasting, and on both hands.

She has been diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis at the age of 10, for which the common ongoing symptom is pain in the lower back when she strains herself with manual labor.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your input.

There are few aspects we need to address.

When there is numbness in the body this means that some nerve is involved and is either being compressed or being inflamed.

She gets occassional numbness in hands while sleeping, this means that she has some underlying condition that predisposed her to get such episodes and this time probably due to over exertion or over use and sternous activity she got that severe numbness and pain.

For helping her with this episode the guidelines are clear.

Rest the hands.
Keep them elevated specially while sleeping with a pillow underneath.
Use over the counter Tab Aleve twice daily
Apply ice thrice daily over the affected area.

Hopefully she will be fine soon.

Later visit your doctor to get to that underlying condition which may be anything like carpal tunnel syndrome etc.

I wish her good luck that she gets well soon.

I hope this helps you.

Please ask for any query

please click accept if i have answered your question

regards

DR Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery