Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I just received report status marked final with a Diagnosis

I just received report status marked final with a Diagnosis of Endocervix (Curettage): Squamous mucosa with parakeratosis
Comment: Endocervix and transformation zone not identified.
What does this mean? My Doctor just told me it was negative and that I'm Ok. However, he repeated a pap smear yesterday and told me he wants to see me in two months for another check up. Should I be concern?
Parakeratosis is a slight change in the cells of the sample but not pre-malignant and nothing serious here. Your doctor is just being cautious and wants to follow up for now with another PAP to see if the cells are now all normal. You obviously have had some abnormal cells on the PAP that prompted the culposcopy but there doesn't seem to be any indication of cancer. Routine follow up PAP smears for now is the proper course.