Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I am 64yrs old with hip pain that i have thought was arthiritis

I am 64yrs old with hip pain that i have thought was arthiritis apparently not according to recent exrays the pain seems to come from my hip shoots down my leg in the past i have been able to walk it out to a degree but not so anymore
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.

As you have arthritis, there can be arthritis of the back spine. It can compress on the nerve at the back, thus you are feeling pain in the leg. As you are not able to walk, you should consult an orthopedic doctor or spine specialist. X-ray/ MRI will be needed to know the severity of compression. At the early stage, pain medicine like motrin can be tried. Besides pain medicine physiotherapy can help. In extreme cases surgery can be needed. If there is any query, please feel free to ask.

It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
12 yrs ago I was diagnosed with errosive osteo in my hands ,some arthritis in my spine at my neck and as I have said some in my hip but now im told there is none in my hip. i do have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor in June but need to get this under some kind of control in order to go to work in the spring. I am a fruit grower. I have taken celebrex and lots of over the counter pain medication but don't get much relief . i go for massage therapy every two weeks
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
As you are not able to walk now and over the counter pain medicines are helping any more, you should try to get an early appointment with orthopedic doctor. Or your primary physician can take preliminary assessment and try to get early appointment. A physiotherapist can be consulted.