Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

my husband and I are trying to conceive and having no luck.

my husband and I are trying to conceive and having no luck. I would like to start using the powers of Maca. Is there any reason that I should not take it if I am on meds for hypothyroidism?
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.

Maca is a natural product not approved by FDA.There are various over the counter supplements available but there is no credible medical evidence that the supplements are safe, effective, and perform the way they claim.

The cause of infertility can be in male or female or both.Causes of female infertility are: fallopian tube blockage,endometriosis,ovulation disorders,polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS),imbalance of hormones,certain medications,thyroid problems.

Most common cause in male are:low sperm concentration,varicocele,impaired production or function of sperm,testosterone deficiency,impaired delivery of sperm,erectile dysfunctions.

The male partner require:semen analysis,transrectal and scrotal ultrasound,hormone testing while the female partner require hysterosalpingography,hormone testing,pelvic ultrasound,ovulation testing.So by these general tests first it is to find that which partner is the causative & hence treatment is done according to the cause.So I advice you to consult your doctor regarding these & don't take any such products.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Would love to connect with a more holistic doctor that is open to different ideas and can give me an opinion not a complete rejection.

Maca may be taken with the hypothyroid medicine; though drug interactions have not been studied. There are some evidences that Maca may improve fertility. Though majority of studies have been doen for the men. Please see the resources;

Asian J Androl. 2001 Dec;3(4):301-3.
Lepidium meyenii (Maca) improved semen parameters in adult men.

Department of Physiological Sciences, Faculty of Sciences and Philosophy and Instituto de Investigaciones de la Altura, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, [email protected]

The present study was designed to determine the effect of a 4-month oral treatment with tablets of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on seminal analysis in nine adult normal men aged 24-44 years old.

Nine men received tablets of Maca (1500 or 3000 mg/day) for 4 months. Seminal analysis was performed according to guidelines of the World Health Organization (WHO). Serum luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin (PRL), testosterone (T) and estradiol (E2) were measured before and after treatment.

Treatment with Maca resulted in increased seminal volume, sperm count per ejaculum, motile sperm count, and sperm motility. Serum hormone levels were not modified with Maca treatment. Increase of sperm count was not related to dose of Maca.

Maca improved sperm production and sperm motility by mechanisms not related to LH, FSH, PRL, T and E2.

J Endocrinol. 2003 Jan;176(1):163-8.
Effect of Lepidium meyenii (Maca), a root with aphrodisiac and fertility-enhancing properties, on serum reproductive hormone levels in adult healthy men.

Instituto de Investigaciones de la Altura, and Department of Biological and Physiological Sciences (Faculty of Sciences and Philosophy), Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, PO 1843, Lima, Peru.

Lepidium meyenii (Maca) is a Peruvian hypocotyl that grows exclusively between 4000 and 4500 m in the central Andes. Maca is traditionally employed in the Andean region for its supposed aphrodisiac and/or fertility-enhancing properties. This study was a 12-week double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized, parallel trial in which active treatment with different doses of Maca Gelatinizada was compared with a placebo. The study aimed to test the hypothesis that Maca has no effect on serum reproductive hormone levels in apparently healthy men when administered in doses used for aphrodisiac and/or fertility-enhancing properties. Men aged between 21 and 56 Years received 1500 mg or 3000 mg Maca. Serum levels of luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone, prolactin, 17-alpha hydroxyprogesterone, testosterone and 17-beta estradiol were measured before and at 2, 4, 8 and 12 weeks of treatment with placebo or Maca (1.5 g or 3.0 g per day). Data showed that compared with placebo Maca had no effect on any of the hormones studied nor did the hormones show any changes over time. Multiple regression analysis showed that serum testosterone levels were not affected by treatment with Maca at any of the times studied (P, not significant). In conclusion, treatment with Maca does not affect serum reproductive hormone levels.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you! Do you think it is also ok to take while taking prenatal vitamins as well?
You are welcome.

Yes, it can be taken with prenatal vitamins.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)