Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

i have been taking benicar hct blood pressure medicine for

i have been taking benicar hct blood pressure medicine for a long time. it works good but the cost is high.i do have va medical care but they wont pay for that med. is there a like medicine you can recomend for me to ask my dr. about
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

As you may know, Benicar HCT contains two medications. The first medication is of the type called an ARB and the second is a diuretic.

There is a similar medication called Hyzaar (or losartan hct) that contains an ARB plus the same diuretic (HCTZ). So, this is the medication you can ask your doctor about.
The other option is to take losartan and hctz separately (both are generic). This gives you more dosing options than a combination pill.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby