Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

funny question. Any time I am dehydrated I sort of feel a

Customer Question

funny question. Any time I am dehydrated I sort of feel a little mild tingling or am just more "aware" of the head of my penis.

A walk-in clinic told me this is normal as the penis glans is a mucous membrane, so if it gets dehydrated this is something you would notice.

Just wondering if you agree?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.

When you become dehydrated, the tissues that are most sensitive to this are the mucous membranes, such as the lips and inside of the mouth, inside of the nose, around the eye, and on the genitals (glans for men). In fact, when checking for dehydration on physical exam one place we look is the mucous membranes of the mouth (since this is the most convenient area to view mucous membranes). So yes it is possible for you to have a sensation of tingling to this area which is one of the most sensitive (and highly enervated) areas of the body.

It is best not to become dehydrated if possible. If you are a person that is working outside or does not tend to drink enough water, you may want to start carrying a water bottle. You can now purchase filter bottles so that you can filter the water out of faucets, making it easy to have good tasting water more easily.

This is sort of a different topic, but since it sounds like you may be in a situation where you are becoming dehydrated frequently, which can occur if you are working in a physical job or a warm area where you are constantly sweating and you do not already have a diet high in salty foods, you may want to drink gator aid or other electrolyte drink to help you maintain your electrolyte balance. Electrolyte imbalance can occur with dehydration.

Please reply to this post if you still have questions on this topic. I am standing by....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well it occurs most when I also notice that I have a dry mouth (does that sound normal?)
I just started taking wellbutrin, and it makes my mouth dry

I also notice a tingling if I have been smoking marijuana, which also makes my mouth dry.

Is it fair to say that if something is making my mouth dry it might also cause me to notice a dehydrated tingly feeling in my glans?
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.
It is possible. If your mouth is dry then this means other mucous membranes are also dry, and if this sensation occurs at the same time, and you are only noticing it at those times, then it certainly makes sense that the area is drying out and you are feeling a sensation of tingling due to the dryness.

I just looked at your history and noticed that you had in the past a lot of concern with this area. But if you have been checked out and don't have an infection, and especially are feeling this when you are dehydrated, then it probably is related to the dehydration.

Does the tingling go away when you drink fluids? If it does, that is another sign indicating that the tingling could be related to the dehydration.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the tingling usually doesn't last for very long at all, sometimes its just a momentary tingle that is gone as soon as it came.

Yes, I have had a long history of problems in this area, and as such I think I am just a little more "aware" of any feelings coming from there than other people.

I had penile revascularization surgery a few years back and as such try to stay on top of any concerns I might have in that area.

Ok, to confirm a tingling feeling from my glans when dehydrated is possible, even if its just a momentary tingling feeling that just lasts for two seconds or occassionally tingles for a little bit longer?
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.
Yes, this is possible.