Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My daughter gets the shivers even when she is not feeling cold.

My daughter gets the shivers even when she is not feeling cold. They happen almost every day and sometimes several times in one day. They are intense enough to cause her to grunt and shake a little. We have mentioned it to our doctor but she said she did not know the cause and dismissed them as unimportant. No follow up, suggestions, or diagnosis. I would like some suggestions as to the cause so we can go to the next appt with some possibilities to explore. My daughter finds them quite distressing some days, and we would like an explanation of some kind.
Greetings.

Since when is this happening?
Any significant past medical history?
Is she on any medications?
Apart from shivers, has she any other symptoms; redness of face, diarrhea, weight gain, nausea, abdominal pain?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it has been a few years now. She has a thyroid disorder, has receently started on synthroid, but these symptoms were present before this. She has gained weight, but the doctor felt that was due to the thyroid issue, and she has always had weight issues. No other symptoms or medications

If the synthroid does not stop the shivers; she would need to get the adrenal function tests. An adrenal gland dysfunction can be responsible for the shivers too, apart from low thyroid. The adrenal gland has hormonal surges (the blood level of the hormones varies significantly during the course of day); which is responsible for the shivers.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun