Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have a sore on the side of my tongue. I had bitten myself

I have a sore on the side of my tongue. I had bitten myself and developed a canker sore, something I am familiar with. However, this one did not heal. I was referred to a specialist who was going to do a biopsy. Then the sore began to heal, it was almost completely gone. I went back to the specialist so he could see. He agreed that it had healed and was almost gone, so, the biopsy was cancelled. Now, the sore has returned and feels just like it did originally. It has not grown in size, it looks like a puncture wound with white edges, it is painful. I have a doctors appt again this week, but, I would like some speculation of what this might be that doesn't grow larger, is painful, almost heals, then comes back.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.

It is possible that you may suffer from recurrent aphthous ulcerations on tongue. It can develop due to food allergy, hormonal effects, vitamin deficiency, stress and trauma.
It is possible that you may have food allergy called as allergic contact stomatitis. You may be given topical corticosteroids for local application.
I suggest that you need to undergo biopsy to distinguish a canker sore from other causes of mouth ulcers.

Please make an appointment with ENT doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

Good luck and take care.

If you have any other questions, please ask them.
Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. Positive Feedback & BONUS are appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just one more question...would mouth cancer behave in this manner? The biopsy was cancelled when the ENT doctor saw how it had healed.
Oral cancer usually will cause bleeding from gums, Mixed red and white patches (erythroleukoplakia). Also it doesn't get heal by its own.
In your case as it get healed and then again comes back, so chances of cancer are less.
However to be on safe side you should get clinically evaluated from ENT doctor and biopsy may be advised.