rroberts1590, Nurse
Experience:  I'm a family practice nurse. I prioritize patients needs and direct them into better health, along with hands-on patient care.

I have a positive ANA, Complement C4, Serum of 34, Sjogrens

Customer Question

I have a positive ANA, Complement C4, Serum of 34, Sjogren's Anti-SS-B of 3.2 and EBV Ab BCA, IgM of 3.1, EBV Ab VCA, IgG of 3.9 and EBV Nuclear Antigen AB, IgG >8.0.
I have been suspected to have sjogrens but havent had the other positive results...what could this mean? what further testing do you recommend?
Category: Health
Expert:  Camille-Moderator replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not gotten a response as of yet.

Hi. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly:-)

Expert:  rroberts1590 replied 4 years ago.
What kind of symptoms are you having?

Do you have a primary care physician?

Do you see any specialty doctors?

Do you have any current diagnosed health issues?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

constant fatigue, sore throat, swollen glands, mouth ulcers, repeated upper respiratory infections, low grade fever from time to time, aches and pains much like flu symptoms, interupted sleep, waking without feeling rested, dry mouth, eyes and skin, shooting pains in upper back...symptoms vary but most annoying is the fatigue and general feeling of being sick.

yes I have a primary care and he has referred me to rheumatologist. I have no other diagnosed health issues.

A rheumatologist seems to be the right step with those symptoms and test results. Your condition does sound autoimmune related...especially with the repetitive infections and not feeling well. Sjogren's often occurs with other autoimmune disorders, like lupus &/or rheumatoid arthritis. It can take time to diagnose autoimmune diseases because it is often during the flare ups that it needs to be diagnosed. Have the doctors checked for lupus? Some other labs commonly checked when suspecting lupus or autoimmune diseases are ESR, CRP, and CPK. Another more rare lab to check would be the antiphospholipid antibody, this can often be a precursor to lupus. It presents with abnormal blood coagulation and can result in blood clots. Though it does sound most like an autoimmune disorder, sleep apnea shouldn't be ruled out. If you're waking without feeling rested you may not be getting the correct amount of oxygen into your body throughout the night. You may even stop breathing for short periods of time. If you're not getting proper rest & oxygen intake, you will physically be weak, along with weak immunity causing you to contract illnesses more easily. You may want to request a sleep study to be done. Keep the rheumatologist appointment, that doctor I'm sure will order the correct labs and hopefully solve this mystery, but check with your primary doctor about sleep apnea too. Hope I have helped in some way :)