Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience:  Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)
16101430

I am a 44 year old female in general good health, do not take

I am a 44 year old female in general good health, do not take any medications and do not smoke or take drugs of any kind prescription or non prescription. I have been suffering from shortness of breath, fatigue, daily headaches ( which I never suffered from before) and most troubling of all, a racing heart beat, irregular heart beat and constant palpitations. This has gone on for five months now. I had 3 ECGs, a chest x ray and six vials of blood drawn and everything looked normal, but the symptoms continued. I finally insisted on getting a referral to a Cardiologist. They gave me a Holter for 24 hours, and did a Stress Test and a Nuclear Perfusion Scan. I do not have Coronary Artery Disease, but I do have the racing heart as evidenced by the fact that 15 minutes after my Stress Test my heart was still elevated at 109 bpm. As I write, my heartbeat is 102 bpm. He told me everything was ok and to get my heart rate down I should exercise 30 minutes a day and come back in 2 weeks for a follow up. DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT??? I think I may have Tachycardia since my bpm are over 100. I am scared to death. Why is this Happening? Is this life threatening?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Amir Javed replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the question. I would like to have few important details. Any history of stress or anxiety? Any test done to see thyroid functions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No history of anxiety but yes, I have suffered from stress in the past, and may be experiencing some stress now as well, but less than I have in the past. I switched jobs a year ago to reduce my stress. I'm not as stressed out as before, but would be lying Iif I said I was stress free. No recent test done on thyroid function. I had one done about four years ago but it was for just one (?) of the thyroid tests, not a full panel. It was normal. But no test done in the last five months since these symptoms started.
Thanks for the details. I would like to say that your rapid heart rate can be due to thyroid dysfunction as this is one of a common cause. It is very important to have or repeat fresh thyroid function tests as your present symptoms can be due that. Also stress can be an important factor for rapid heart rate thats why I will also suggest to go for relaxation therapy. You should also try to see a specialist in internal medicine for detail evaluation. There is a need to have few important tests such as thyroid function tests, full blood count, serum electrolytes. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Do accept the answer in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Positive feedback and bonuses will be appreciated.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed.
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience: Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)