Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My mother is suffering from cancer/breast, but is in remission,

My mother is suffering from cancer/breast, but is in remission, but lately had an LD reading of 268. The oncologist stopped the zometa saying it could affect the kidneys, I know there are stage 1-6 of kidney disease, how do we find out if it is something else.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I assume we're talking about LDH--lactic dehydtogenase? What about her creatinine, BUN and GFR (glomerular filtration rate)--other tests to evaluate her lidney function?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her BUN is high 33, her LD is high 268/not LDH on the paper, and her non african american GFR is 40/L
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--how long has she been on the Zometa and does she have high blood pressure or diabetes? Has she been told she had kidney problems in the past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO kidney problems in the past, ZOMETA for two years, now stopped due to the increased LD, has/had an infection in her bone after they pulled teeth after too much time on zometa, , LOW LOW blood pressure/runs in the family.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--thank's for the extra information. Now can you restate your question--I'm not quite sure what information you need here? Is it what is going on with her kidneys?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to know if the numbers that I wrote to you can indicate kidney problems, or could her bone infection when they pulled her teeth be affecting her. From Jan 2012 to now she has weakened tremendously, lost 5 pounds in one month, all after being taken off the zometa.,though oncologist doesn't think its the zomete. Also her glucose has at times dropped to 65 in the middle of the day. We are wondering about septic infection, low blood sugar and kidney numbers.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, the LD could either be from her liver or from bone, at least those are the primary sites, and with her previous history of cancer, I would worry about bone metastases but I guess the oncologist has considered and checked for that. A bone infection could have raised the LD. That said, the GFR you mentioned indicates a Stage III state of kidney failure and I don't think that's from the Zometa. At this point she needs a nephrology (kidney specialist) referral to look at her kidneys and treat that, and if she hasn't had liver studies and a bone scan those also need to be done to determine the reason for the elevated LD.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice