Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

After a year of losing 90% of my hair, growing it back and

After a year of losing 90% of my hair, growing it back and losing about 70% of it again, I have identified the culprit as my thyroid disease, which I have had for about six years but my TSH has always been around a 1. Over the last year, my endocrinologist of six years neglected to increase my daily Levoxyl from 112 mcg to something higher, despite my TSH levels going from a 1.2 to an 8.5 and then to a 4.4 in less than six months time. Now I have a new endocrinologist, who is great. He did an ultrasound of my thyroid and there is no tumor or cancer. He wants to get me back down to a TSH of around a 1. The first order of business is to switch me to 137 mcg of Levoxyl per day for the next six weeks. My question is: After a year of thyroid "neglect," and even if I can get back down to a 1, does my hair stand a chance of growing back entirely or are the follicles completely damaged? What hair loss experiences have your thyroid patients had in that regard? I guess I am asking, "Is there much hope?"

Yes, there is all the chance that hair would grow back to near normal (85-95% of previous) levels. Hair loss due to thyroid disease is a reversible phenomenon after proper regulation of the thyroid hormone.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun