DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

My doctor tested my blood glucose via a finger pick back in

My doctor tested my blood glucose via a finger pick back in December (I was fasting) the number was 150. She sent me for an A1C test and it came back 5.1. I was told to watch diet, exercise and continue to lose weight. I was 250lbs a year ago and I am down to 200lbs. I just had a follow up glucose test via a finger pick last week in my Dr's office and it was 143. My doctor sent me for another A1C as well as routine blood work, CMP, CBC, T4 and Lipid profile. I had all of thisbloodwork done last Wednesday and received a letter in the mail on Monday that all of my blood work was stable and to call if I had any further questions. What does "stable" mean?
Hello
Stable means within normal ranges.

Only a fasting finger stick would be meaningful, a random finger stick is not.

You don't have diabetes or pre diabetes...stop doing random finger sticks, they are worthless.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the advice. Both finger sticks were after a 12 hour fast however the A1C was what I am told is normal at 5.1. My Dr. is a little over the top I must say, she said anything fasting over 126 I should think of being on medication and it would help me lose weight, she mentioned metforam but she test my glucose and the result of the blood tests were stable so I am hoping it is good. I have to follow up with her next week.
finger stick is not accurate enough
Have a fasting am blood test
see what that is
It is true that iv this is 126 or higher it is diabetes
good luck