Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Possible NGU but unsure

Possible NGU but unsure
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
As in nongonorrheal urethritis? What are your symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was tested for Chlamydia and Gonhorrea and they were negative. Also given 7 days of Doxycycline while waiting for test results, 100mg twice a day. Would it be possible I had NGU or would the antibiotics of taken care of that?
I don't have any discharge or pain while urinating just some tingling/irritation feeling in the penis around the head area. Good be all in my head though...
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How were you tested--a urethral swab and culture? When was your last episode of unprotected sex before the symptoms began?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Chl/Gon test was done via urine at the start of the stream. Last episode of unprotected sex and it was oral only was 5 days before that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh and that was back at the end of January, like the 27th, tested on Feb 1st.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well a better test would have been the swab. Basically you got the standard antibiotic for Chlamydia and this doesn't sound like gonorrhea, but, if it were, doxycycline wouldn't be the antibiotic of choice. Potentially you could have trichomonas and Flagyl would be more appropriate for that. As you say, the symptoms may not be from an STD or any infection, though. I suggest having a urethral swab culture to determine if there truly is an infection that wasn't picked up on the urine test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I feel confident with the results as it was at planned parenthood and they are great at STD work. They did a gon and chl test and both were negative so if I'm just experiencing discomfort and no discharge or pain while urinating, would you think NGU isn't possible?
I also read that NGU is treated with Doxycyline when it isn't from chlamydia or gonhorrea.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, NGU or nonspecific urethritis is a catch all term and ureaplasma and mycoplasma are two other organisms that are in the mix. That said, since you trust the clinic, we should assume the culture was proper and since nothing grew out then there is no infection. And, no, chlamydia is typically treated with doxycycline. Another option for you would be azithromycin to cover the other possibilities.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice