Karel1, Certified Respiratory Therapist
Experience:  Have suffered with Narcolepsy a sleeping disorder over 30 years,specializes in asthma ,COPD

Who is the best candidate to be prescribed amitriptyline, given

Who is the best candidate (what diagnosis) to be prescribed amitriptyline--vs. another kind of antidepressant-- given that it takes 10 - 14 days to reach a therapeutic level?
Category: Health
Expert:  Karel1 replied 4 years ago.

Karel1 :

The best person would be one who suffers from depression

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I realize amitriptyline is an anti-depressant; but what diagnosis would warrant this TCA, over another antidepressant med? Sorry for not being more detailed the first time.
Expert:  Karel1 replied 4 years ago.

Tricyclic antidepressants are milder than ssri drugs such as prozac. If a patient was already on a tryclic drug for example tofranil. They couldnt go to prozac unless withdrawing from the tofranil. So the doctor may want to stay with the class of drugs hes on already.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So would this be a good drug to try first on someone with a more mild depression, or an episodic depression? I have read that it's not as popular anymore maybe because of its sedative qualities, so I've been confused on why it would even be prescribed anymore.
Expert:  Karel1 replied 4 years ago.
Its totally up to the doctor and the type of depression the person has. I take tofranil for my loss of muscle tone as I suffer from Narcolepsy, because these drugs also do something to the muscle tone for a person suffering from narcolepsy. And if I went to prozac I would have to withdraw from the tofranil. On all these drugs when starting you must get blood test to make sure the liver isnt affected. Ive taken tofranil trycyclic over 30 years with no problem. Its all a guessing game, some work better than others . You wont know unless you try it. Everyone reacts differently.