Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

A sore throat and bumps on back of the tongue. Why?

Customer Question

I have large red bump far back tongue. A sore throat doesn't appear as white. didn't notice it until today I am 19. Red bump and sore throat weren't there a week ago. I take adderall. nothing on the front or mid tongue.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Is this like a blister or an ulcer? Any pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when I swallow in the morning yes and kinda yeah throughout the day. looks like a growth kinda, feels like a large bullish type thing, far back, so much so when I touch it with a toothbrush I gag, my lips are also very chapped. Adderall gives me dry mouth, but never had a problem before taken it 2 years. No pain except swallowing feels like something is in my throat kinda. its in middle kinda towards left . not white, not sure if its pale but there is maybe a little white around it, however, could be a plaque.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Any chance of pasting a photo on this page?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes here they come one moment just took them, after i drink water most of white, what i think is plague, disappears
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I'll wait
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you have an email not sure they will work on this
/Users/scottmcelroy/Downloads/doctor pictures
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, can't do emails here. So after gargling and scrubbing, what exactly is left?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, there is a bulge on the far back tongue, not white, with some whiteness at same tongue depth on both sides the bulge favors left side some of this white which I think is just residue or plaque disappeared after a drink of water. my lips are vertically chapped. no fever as I know of sore throat, more intense in the morning right when I wake up. eyes are I believe of normal shade, meaning no reported redness nothing on sides of the tongue or anywhere on the tongue from tip to mid tongue. When the mouth is opened and tongue is resting you can't even see disturbance, no hoarse nor lacking breath

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
And you mentioned the feeling of something in your throat? Any problem with heartburn or indigestion?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, when I swallow I feel it. No and No

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. As far as the tongue goes, although I can't see it, I don't think it's anything serious as in cancer or a herpetic (cold sore) infection. With what you've said about your lips, dry mouth and throat symptoms I think you may have silent gastric reflux--stomach acid welling up in the back of the throat without the heartburn or indigestion but causing the symptoms and perhaps the tongue problem. I would have you on a couple of weeks of Zantac or Pepcid AC to see if the symptoms cleared, but, even if they did, I'd still refer you to a gastroenterologist for upper endoscopy to see if there's any esophageal damage from the reflux.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know chewing tobacco is bad but do you think it would have anything to do with this like I said nothing except way back of the tongue.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Cancer and things like that don't just suddenly crop up. The tobacco, though, could be a large part of the overall problem.