Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

my girlfriend feels nauseated, gets a headache and vomits in

my girlfriend feels nauseated, gets a headache and vomits in the evenings. its been happening the past week and she thinks its because of stress from school, family problems and from me being away at work for two weeks at a time. How can she battle this stress and feel better?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

I'm afraid there is not simple answer to your question, although i can provide some suggestions and resources.

First of all, she will need to have the desire and motivation to get better. Ultimately, we can provide her all the resources in the world, but if she is not willing to try them, they will not be of help. I am only mentioning this, because I see that you are writing in for her. You can give her suggestions, and it is nice of you to do so, but she will have to decide what she is willing to do.

One thing that I will mention for you, is 1. Make sure you are taking care of yourself. A person can lose themselves in the caregiving role if not careful. This can even sometimes encourage dependency (in the long term) When that happens, it is called codependency. 2. You mention that she says part of the problem is that you are away for two weeks at a time. Does she have any one else? A support system? If not, it is very important for her to develop friends and support besides you. Or, if she is doing too much, she may need to cut back on something. If she has too much to deal with, she may need to pull back and set priorities.

Has she been to a therapist? A good therapist or even a good life coach or both can be one form of support. Another method of obtaining support would be to attend an Emotions Anonymous support group. This is a support group that would help her to learn coping skills to handle her schedule and would be especially good to help her handle the family problems, and will provide her a place to go when you are away, and develop a support system.

She can look for Emotions Anonymous groups in her area here:

(she will need to cut and past the link to the browser) Also, note the 'find the closest meeting' on the left upper side.

The following website has excellent information and resources to help with stress, depression, and family problems:

(she may want to start by looking at the section on stress - just click on the links on the L side of the page)

As far as her physical problems, they may well be brought on by the stress (many physical illnesses are) but if she has not been evaluated by her doctor, she will need to be.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

Please reply to this post if you have further questions about this. I will be here to assist you until you are either satisfied with the help I provide, or if needed I can opt out and let another Expert assist you. Just let me know if you are looking for something else.