Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

1. Which of the following is not a correct statement regarding

1. Which of the following is not a correct statement regarding metabolism? (Points: 1)
Cells require energy to change molecules from one form to another.
Animals use energy obtained directly from the sun and chemicals obtained from plants, other animals, air, and water.
Plants get the raw materials they need for life processes from the air, water, and soil.
All living organisms require raw materials and a constant source of energy.
Cells maintain life through the transformation of molecules and energy by chemical and physical processes.

2. Which of the following is not true regarding antioxidants? (Points: 1)
Vitamin C and beta-carotene are examples of antioxidants.
Antioxidants prevent the formation of free radicals which oxidize other molecules.
Fresh fruits and vegetables contain a high level of antioxidants.
Research indicates that antioxidants are most likely the cause of early aging.
Observational studies have led to the conclusion that antioxidants may be associated
with a lower risk of cardiovascular death.

3. Sucrose is an oligosaccharide made up of which of the following sugars? (Points: 1)
glucose and glucose
deoxyribose and ribose
starch and glycogen
maltose and glucose
glucose and fructose

4. One of the most common ways to get information out to a wide audience in the least amount of time regarding "hot" topics in science is by using (Points: 1)
peer reviewed journals
science magazines
the Discovery channel on television
general interest news magazines or newspapers
books

5. The process by which embryonic cells go through functional and structural changes to become specialized is: (Points: 1)
metabolism.
homeostasis.
differentiation.
in vitro fertilization.
development.

6. Which of the following is not true regarding metabolism? (Points: 1)
Metabolism involves thousands of different chemical reactions occurring in a living organism.
An anabolic reaction is one in which a large molecule is broken down into smaller molecules.
Linear metabolic pathways occur when the product of one reaction is used as the substrate of the next reaction.
Catabolic pathways result in the release of energy.
Some metabolic pathways form a repetitive cycle.

7. Gated channels are especially important in regulating the transport of ________ across a plasma membrane. (Points: 1)
glucose
water
ions
small uncharged molecules
nucleic acids

8. Which of the following is damaged by exposure to sunlight or tanning lamps? (Points: 1)
collagen fibers in the dermis
small blood vessels
elastin fibers
melanocytes
all of the above

9. Which of the following best explains how water moves freely across a plasma membrane? (Points: 1)
Because of the charges on phospholipids, water moves directly through the phosopholipid bilayer.
Water is brought into the cell by endocytosis and released by exocytosis.
Because water is so important to a cell, it is actively transported across the membrane.
Water moves through protein-lined channels in the plasma membrane.
The passage of water across a plasma membrane requires facilitated transport.

10. Nitric oxide is produced by cells lining the blood vessels; this chemical messenger regulates the contraction of smooth muscle in the digestive tract as well as local blood flow in various tissues of the body. (Points: 1)
True
False

11. Which of the following is required in the diet in order for active thyroid hormones to be produced? (Points: 1)
calcium
phosphorus
iodine
zinc
iron

12. During puberty, the secretion of GnRH causes the secretion of ________, which in turn stimulate(s) the production of sex hormones. (Points: 1)
LH and FSH
oxytocin and prolactin
insulin
growth hormone
oxytocin and growth hormone

13. Hormones are specific to particular tissues because (Points: 1)
they will only interact with target cells at a synapse.
they are released next to target tissues, so they cannot interact with other cells.
target tissues display the appropriate receptor for a particular hormone.
they can only be released following depolarization of the target cell.
all of the above

14. Which of the following organs is not fully developed in a fetus and is therefore bypassed by the ductus aerteriosus? (Points: 1)
liver
pancreas
heart
lungs
bladder

15. In the human male, genotype and phenotype associated with the genes on the X chromosome are determined by the one X chromosome he inherits from his mother. (Points: 1)
True
False

16. What is the significance of crossing-over, independent assortment, and random fertilization? (Points: 1)
an increase in the number of gametes produced by an individual, thereby increasing the chance that fertilization will occur
an increase in the genetic diversity of gametes and zygotes
an increase in the number of daughter cells produced by mitosis, thus providing a mechanism for rapidly repairing injured tissues
a decrease in the genetic complexity of living systems, making it more likely that a species will survive
a decrease in the amount of time it takes to produce gametes

17. Prior to genetic engineering, insulin for humans with insulin-dependent diabetes was extracted from pigs and cattle. Presently insulin is produced by transgenic: (Points: 1)
humans.
chickens.
viruses.
bacteria.
monkeys.

18. Which of the following human traits is an example of codominance? (Points: 1)
sickle-cell anemia
variation in eye color
human height
AB blood type
both A and D

19. The inflammatory response is initiated by the release of ________ from basophils. (Points: 1)
histamine
hemoglobin
clotting factor
granulosen
erythropoietin

20. Which of the following types of white blood cells is capable of phagocytosis? (Points: 1)
eosinophils
basophils
neutrophils
B lymphocytes
both eosinophils and B lymphocytes

21. Which of the following is not true regarding the immune response? (Points: 1)
The immune response uses chemical and phagocytic cells to destroy foreign cells.
Once initiated, the immune response provides protection for the entire body.
The key to immune response is the ability of the components involved to be able to distinguish between the body cells and foreign cells.
The immune response involves the activities of proteins, cells, and the lymphatic system.
The immune response involves the ability to "remember" exposures to pathogens in order to increase the rate of response upon subsequent infections by that pathogen.

22. Unlike white blood cells, red blood cells lose their ____ and ____ as they mature. (Points: 1)
nucleus, organelles
nucleus, ATP
organelles, plasma membrane
flexibility, shape

23. An advantage of the systems-based approach is the recognition that studies relevant to environmental change and infectious disease are embedded within a wider web of interactions. (Points: 1)
True
False

24. Cyanide is the most acutely toxic substance known. (Points: 1)
True
False

25. Which of the following diseases is caused by a virus? (Points: 1)
rabies
Lyme disease
syphilis
toxic shock syndrome
tuberculosis

26. Which of the following sexually transmitted diseases can be cured by the use of antibiotics? (Points: 1)
genital herpes
AIDS
pubic lice
gonorrhea
hepatitis B

27. State-level data on seasonal influenza are general, qualitative reports from state and territorial epidemiologists, summarizing weekly influenza activity, rather than specific numbers of infections. (Points: 1)
True
False

28. Two classes of antivirals which are available for influenza are adamantanes and neuraminidase inhibitors. Currently, resistance appears to be an increasing problem for the adamantanes, but not the neuraminidase inhibitors. (Points: 1)
True
False

29. Live attenuated influenza vaccine is given as an intramuscular injection. (Points: 1)
True
False

30. H1N1 viruses no longer readily infect humans. They now exist mainly as porcine (swine) viruses. (Points: 1)
True
False

31. The mortality curve for the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic was U shaped, indicating the bulk of deaths were among the very young and the very old. (Points: 1)
True
False

32. Cellular swelling is a sign of early injury. (Points: 1)
True
False

33. NOAEL refers to: (Points: 1)
Lowest data point at which there was not an observed toxic or adverse effect
Highest data point at which there was not an observed toxic or adverse effect
Lowest data point at which there was an observed toxic or adverse effect
Highest data point at which there was an adverse toxic or adverse effect

34. The best definition of toxicology is (Points: 1)
the study of chemicals
the study of the beneficial effects of chemical agents
the study of cellular structure
the study of the adverse effects of chemicals in biological systems

35. Which of the following is considered to be important in protecting individuals from chemicals? (Points: 1)
Type of chemicals they are exposed to
The potential levels of exposure
The toxicity of the chemicals
All of the above

36. The best definition of a toxin is: (Points: 1)
any chemical that is foreign to the body
any substance that can potentially produce toxicity
any substance that if present in the body in relatively small amounts may produce damage
any poisonous substance produced by an organism

37. The chance that an individual in the United States will experience some form of cancer in their lifetime is: (Points: 1)
1 in 1000.
1 in 10.
1 in one million.
1 in 3.
1 in 25.

38. Which of the following is not caused by the expression of an oncogene? (Points: 1)
Cells grow at a faster rate than normal.
Abnormal protein receptors are produced.
Cells do not respond to inhibitory growth signals from neighboring cells.
Cell division occurs at an increased rate.
Normal cell differentiation occurs.

39. A mutated form of the p53 gene has been identified in tumors of all of the following types of cancer except: (Points: 1)
colon.
bladder.
breast.
stomach.
skin.

40. Which of the following is not true regarding the immune system and cancer? (Points: 1)
Some cancers can suppress the immune system.
Some cancer cells produce abnormal proteins on their cell surfaces that the immune system can use to detect these cells.
Cancer cells can be killed by immune system cells.
Because cancer cells are the individual's cells, there is no way for the immune system to differentiate between normal cells and cancer cells.
Many cancer cells do not display "self" proteins.

41. Which of the following is not true regarding cervical cancer? (Points: 1)
The Pap test can be used to diagnose cervical cancer.
The risk of developing cervical cancer increases with infection by the herpes simplex virus.
Cervical cancer may be one of the first cancers to be prevented with the use of a vaccine.
Women with multiple sex partners are at higher risk for cervical cancer.
The survival rate for women with cervical cancer is fairly high.

42. When a blood pressure is taken by a medical professional, the pressure in the main veins is recorded. (Points: 1)
True
False

43. Which of the following is not true regarding the lymphatic system? (Points: 1)
The lymphatic system removes microorganisms from body fluid.
Lymph flows from lymph capillaries to larger lymphatic vessels to the heart and lungs.
Lymphatic capillaries absorb lipid droplets from interstitial fluid.
Lymph is returned to the cardiovascular system where it once more becomes a part of blood plasma.
Lymphatic capillaries absorb excess fluid from the tissues.

44. Ventilation refers to the process by which: (Points: 1)
gases are exchanged between the cells and the lungs.
gases are exchanged between the air and the blood.
air moves into and out of the lungs.
gases are exchanged between the blood and the cells.
ATPs are produced.

45. When the force of blood on the walls of blood vessels drops below normal, the condition is referred to as (Points: 1)
blood pressure
hypotension
hypertension
aneurysm
none of the above

46. The process of breathing requires the coordinated efforts of the (Points: 1)
bones
respiratory system
circulatory system
muscles
all of the above

47. During periods of stress or increased activity, the parasympathetic division of the autonomic nervous system predominates; during periods of rest, the sympathetic division of the autonomic nervous system predominates. (Points: 1)
True
False

48. A student noticed that every time he smelled a certain perfume in the hallway, it reminded him of his mother. This is due largely to the activity of the limbic system. (Points: 1)
True
False

49. The functional barrier between blood and the brain is cerebrospinal fluid. (Points: 1)
True
False

50. Cells that provide direct protection and physical support to neurons are (Points: 1)
only located in spinal fluid.
found primarily in lymphatic fluid.
are myelinated.
neuroglial cells.
Schwann cells
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Working on it--give me a minute
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long should I wait, because I need to submit my second home work. I am runing out of time. I want to submit the Epidemiology home work. Let us cancel it if you previous one. if you can continue on the Epi ........Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Two more minutes, please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I am waiting.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--sorry for the wait but that was a lot of questions. I assume the answers are a, b, c, etc but you didn't put those down so I'm going to give you the word or words that indicate my answer

1) Animals
2)Antioxidants
3)Glucose/fructose
4) General interest
5) Differentiation
6)Anabolic
7)Ions
8)All
9)Water is brought
10)F
11)Iodine
12) LH and FSH
13)All
14)Lungs
15)T
16) Increase genetic diversity
17)Viruses
18)ABO blood
19)Histamine
20)Neutrophils
21) Once initiated
22) Flexibility
23) T
24)T
25) Rabies
26) Gonorrhea
27)F
28)F
29)T
30)F
31)T
32)T
33)Highest/not observed
34)Study/adverse
35)All
36)Any poisonous
37) 1 in 3
38)Normal cell
39)Skin
40)Because
41)The risk
42)F
43)Lymph flows
44)Air moves
45)Hypotension
46)All
47) F
48)T
49)F
50) Neuroglial
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Did you understand in each case the answer I was referring to?